Clothing made of quality fabrics. Where to look

(4 Posts)
SilverHawk Mon 19-Sep-16 18:52:07

There was a very good article in The Sunday Times about fabric sourcing for the high end, high street brands.
I am happy to precis the article.
Silk: Dior, Armani ,Erdem and Diane von Furstenberg. LK Bennet on the high street.
Tweed. Linton tweed in Carlisle works with Roksanda, Vetements and Valentino. LK Bennet on the high street.
A Veneto mill supplies tweed to Chanel, Hermes but also Karen Millen.

If anyone knows of some 'lower' market sourcing, let us know.

OCSockOrphanage Mon 19-Sep-16 20:45:36

Sadly, I don't think the UK mass market high street even aspire to the same dizzy heights. Some British mills supply outdoor fabrics to M&S for their Best of British range. And if you are really beady eyed, sometimes good stuff slips through the filters at Zara.

The norm is closer to what DH was told by a Courtauld's subsidiary (a client, no longer trading) in the 80s. "We make fabric and sell it; the retailer then tells us how far to stretch it to fit their budget and we steam roller it to width. They manufacture the clothing and ......... it shrinks in the end purchaser's washing machine, ultimately back to the size we wove it."

SilverHawk Mon 19-Sep-16 20:56:12

Oh dear. I knew a buyer for M&S in the 80s! Figures...
I was wondering if any good fabric slipped into, say, M&S, Joules, Crew, perhaps Toast and COS under the radar?

chanie44 Mon 19-Sep-16 21:46:49

The consensus on MN seems to be that no one shop or brand does everything well and many shops will have a couple of gems hidden amongst the made fibres.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now