New wardrobe from scratch - essentials on a budget

(7 Posts)
Blerg Mon 19-Sep-16 12:58:30

I'm in the prices of losing weight (2.5 stone gone, 2.5 to go) and am due back to work soon. I have clothes if many sizes and styles, some 10 years old from when I was last slim.

I fear two children later I will never be the same size / shape again, and I'm ok with that but I want to start my wardrobe afresh!

However I'm on a budget due to maternity leave and the fact I'm still only halfway there.

So what do you consider absolute wardrobe essentials? I want to get some cheaper but not rubbish staples to see me through. Eg M&S not Peacocks. Maybe the odd Boden thing if worth it.

I am size 16/18, hourglass but with extra large boobs (BFing) and a bit of a belly.

I have a 3 yo and 8 month old. My life will be park, toddler groups, work 2 days a week where anything goes but like to look smart casual.

So far I'm thinking:
Dark blue straight leg jeans - are they still a thing? I generally like bootleg but it feels unfashionable.

A Breton top

A black dress for work. I like this:

Blerg Mon 19-Sep-16 13:01:42

www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/plain-black-twist-knot-dress/wf380/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=3467&dclid=CLzFvIf7k88CFSZO2wodm9ALZA#colour:Black,size:16

Posted too soon sorry!

Also:

A cardigan from Pepperberry to cope with boobs

A black denim skirt

Black suede ankle boots - flat

Black jumper

T shirts in white, black, navy - prob M&S

And that's as far as I got...

Blerg Mon 19-Sep-16 13:02:06

Saw that dress on here btw.

PaperdollCartoon Mon 19-Sep-16 13:27:18

The dress is lovely and will be very flattering on you by the sounds of your shape. I think a couple of good quality long sleeve t-shirts are good staples to have, especially for winter layering.

Itscurtainsforyou Mon 19-Sep-16 13:56:13

How about a blazer to smarten up dress/skirt outfits? Casual shoes? Warm/winter coat? Nice bag?

phoolani Mon 19-Sep-16 16:20:53

I'd have a look at the French connection Essentials range. Some of it may be a bit pricey, but I think it's a good place to look to get ideas at least for smart casual basics. Look online though, FC shops tend to just be full of sparkly body con dresses.

Blerg Tue 20-Sep-16 12:43:14

Thanks all. Fur the bigger spend items - coats, shoes etc I am waiting til at goal weight if I can.

Blazer is s nice idea but need a boob friendly cut.

I've added long sleeve t-shirts to the list.

FC - will have a look, would never shop there as you say looks all sparkly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now