How do you keep warm?

(16 Posts)
Nospringflower Mon 19-Sep-16 09:04:56

I am always buying clothes but then don't wear them because I am cold in them. Yesterday had on a nice sleeveless top and a cardi - looked lovely but I was either cold or needed a hoody on top (this is in the house - outside I could at least put a jacket on).

Have tried wearing vest tops under things but they either make things sit badly or still don't keep me that warm!

Not sure if thicker cardis are the answer but not seen nice ones ...

Any advice appreciated smile

Rumtopf Mon 19-Sep-16 09:10:43

Layers work for me. A bit old fashioned I suppose but I wear a slip under a dress, the extra layer helps me to keep warm and being a slip doesn't ruin the way the dress sits.

Today I have thermal lined leggings on with a long tunic. Again, not the height of fashion but I am warm and look pretty good.

AwayAwayAway Mon 19-Sep-16 09:23:42

I love thermal lined things. Uniqlo is pretty good for that sort of thing.

Rumtof where are your leggings from?

Heratnumber7 Mon 19-Sep-16 09:25:12

Buy proper vests rather than vest tops. They are thinner and don't affect your clothing. M&S do some really nice ones in winter.

Artandco Mon 19-Sep-16 09:28:03

Wool.

Buy merino or cashmere dress or cardigan or jumper. Cashmere more expensive than merino. But both last forever if you look after

Rumtopf Mon 19-Sep-16 09:31:12

Away these ones are actually from Primark! Had to get the size down from normal as they seem fairly roomy, but they're lovely and warm, thick and definitely not see through!
I also buy my thin long sleeved layering tops from there or Gap as I really like thin soft cotton against my skin and being so thin means they don't pull things out of shape.

Believeitornot Mon 19-Sep-16 09:31:49

At home I wear thick unattractive clothing. Plus slippers.

EmpressTomatoKetchup Mon 19-Sep-16 09:32:46

What's your cardi made of? I wear wool/cashmere/merino mix jumpers and a fleece in the house in the winter.

JC23 Mon 19-Sep-16 09:38:24

Uniqlo heattech underneath everything and wool jumpers/cardigans. Layer up.
I never buy knitwear made of acrylic, it doesn't keep you warm, it's just for show.

deste Mon 19-Sep-16 09:40:30

If my neck is bare I feel cold so I just put on a scarf, it really does help.

CandyMcJingles Mon 19-Sep-16 11:21:09

Always a vest or camisole and a big scarf to drape as needed.

Starduke Mon 19-Sep-16 11:28:17

knee-length socks under trousers. makes a huge difference.

Nospringflower Mon 19-Sep-16 11:55:29

Thanks folks - lots of good ideas that I haven't tried!

I will try buying some proper vests and channel my inner granny! If it keeps me warm I am all for it.

I do like a scarf but there are a lot of things they don't match - maybe I should buy a plain black one that will go with most things and see what that does for me and some knee length socks.

I will look great when I get undressed!

banivani Mon 19-Sep-16 12:21:09

A second voice for wool. Layers of thin wool is da bomb.

IToldYouIWasFreaky Mon 19-Sep-16 12:28:28

I never buy knitwear made of acrylic, it doesn't keep you warm, it's just for show.

Yes. Even cotton keeps me warmer than acrylic!

I managed to find a very cheap 100% cashmere jumper in H&M a couple of years ago. I love it. It's light, soft and warm without being bulky or making me feel too hot. I am definitely going to invest in a few more plain cashmere jumpers and cardigans, I think they'll be worth it.

But natural fibres in general are the best for keeping you warm. When I watch DS play football in the winter my outfit is usually vest, long sleeved t-shirt (both cotton), 100% wool jumper, skinny jeans, knee length cotton socks, shorter wool socks and leather calf length boot. With my down knee length duvet coat over the top plus assorted wool hats, scarves and gloves. Toasty!

midnightmoomoo Mon 19-Sep-16 15:56:06

I can't wear anything with wool in it but I like silk thermal undies if it's cold. Think mine came from Land's End, I've got a long sleeved top and long leggings which I don't wear very often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now