Help me make a capsule wardrobe

(13 Posts)
FlourishandBlotts Sun 18-Sep-16 19:15:21

Overhauling my wardrobe atm. I want to create a capsule wardrobe. But what do i need?! I currently have a lush leather jacket i got from zara. For reference I'm 5ft 1, petite straight up and down figure.

smile

WhooooAmI24601 Sun 18-Sep-16 19:24:12

I've never been able to reduce my wardrobe down but I do obsess over capsule wardrobes on Pinterest; they're brilliant for ideas on there.

operationunkown Sun 18-Sep-16 19:28:18

What you need depends on what you do / work/ socalise etc.

No good have 3 smart dresses if you never need them use the space for things you do need.

You also want to stay inside 1 or 2 colour pallets so everything works together add interest and seasonality with scarves, gloves, bags, accessories those are you colour pops.

FlourishandBlotts Sun 18-Sep-16 19:46:34

No need to worry about work as i wear a uniform. I want to look put together if that makes sense. I just dont know where to start.

operationunkown Sun 18-Sep-16 20:01:29

Loving the username btw!

Ok so it's just outside of work that makes things easier. I'm your current wardrobe what are your go to pieces? Are you more trousers, jeans etc. Or more skirt, dressed or a combination?

TheViewFromTheSheepSeats Sun 18-Sep-16 20:09:01

I have a (work) capsule wardrobe but it's smart/casual so I think it carries over.
It consists of-
Black knee length dress
Gray knee length dress
Navy silk tunic dress
Peach silk blouse
Cream blouse
3 soft sweatshirts (gray/black/cream)
Black woollen jumper
Black blazer
Gray smart trousers
Black skinny jeans
Gray skinny jeans
Blue skinny jeans x2
Wedge calf boots
Flat 'biker' boots
Flat black leather 'work' shoes

I have a pile of vest tops that i would wear underneath jumpers or pullovers that i exclude from the 'capsule' as they are not smart, and I don't include tights/accessories etc.

I would like to capsulise my out of work 'drobe as well. Good luck!

TheViewFromTheSheepSeats Sun 18-Sep-16 20:11:04

Hmmm....that (realistically) is a winter wardrobe- for summer add some skirts!

8FencingWire Sun 18-Sep-16 20:16:41

Grab a couple of Cos dresses.
A pair of white company trousers/jeans, some boat neck t-shirts, a shirt, a cashmere/chunky sweater.
Silver bangles.
Thread your eyebrows, get a good haircut.

jobrum Sun 18-Sep-16 20:17:45

Definitely a grey (or another neutral shade if you're set against grey) jersey, either cotton, cashmere or wool. Something that will go with all bottoms depending on how you dress it so a statement necklace and pencil skirt or just jeans and Converse.

When this pregnancy is over with, I will start my new wardrobe (so many old, ill fitting things currently) and a couple of grey jumpers will definitely be in there.

FlourishandBlotts Sun 18-Sep-16 20:18:51

I do wear a lot of skirts, dresses but this summer have been reaching for my skinny jean/vest top/flip flop combo as just have a major dislike of everything in my wardrobe. Im aslo early 20s so would like to age appropriate.

operationunkown Sun 18-Sep-16 20:28:12

Ok I'm my humble opinion you need to sort the bottoms first.

1 x pair well fitting jeans
1 x pair of trouser go for the opposite so skinny jeans wider leg trouser
1 x fitted skirt (pencil with some stretch is always a good staple)
1 x fit and flare skirt
2 x dresses again i tend to do one closer fit and one more fit and flare style)

Tops tend to be easier you want an assortment of 5. I tend to do
1 x wrap style
1 x long sleeved fitted shirt
1 x tunic style
1 x sleevless style
1 x other

Jumpers / cardigans
1 x long line cardigan
1 x fitted short cardigan
1 x long jumper / jumper dress
1 x fitted jumper

Coats
1 x biker
1 x longer line coat
1 x blazer or jacket (probably option but personally it makes everything much smarter)

These are the staples to any wardrobe and if your going capsule then quality and fit is definately the way to go. Stick to a colour pallet so you can mix and match everything together

Shoes (now I admit I have a shoe addiction) but your need at least these
1 x knee length boots
1 x ankle boots
2 x heels (they go with everything)

Accesories (these you can change regularly so you don't need to spend as much on them) look for pops of colour and they really do make your wardrobe look very trendy.
Gloves
Bags
Belts
Scarves
Tights
Vest tops

Summer
2 x dresses
1 x light weight trouser
1 x light weight skirt
1 x smart shorts
1 x casual shorts

FlourishandBlotts Mon 19-Sep-16 16:43:17

Thanks for replies!

Can anyone point me in the direction of good shops?

CarpetDiem Tue 20-Sep-16 12:41:11

Following

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now