Microfibre undies - any views on comfort and health

(16 Posts)
loxyfoxy Sun 18-Sep-16 18:20:48

I've always been a cotton only knickers kind of girl - but on a shopping spree back in the spring, I bought some Next microfibre bikini type panties - I liked the soft feel that I thought was softer than even cotton. I have got along fine with them and went to buy more on-line when I realised that they are 100% synthetic polyester! (as it seems are all microfibre undies). I had no problems through the hot weather even though I can be prone to thrush. I'm now a bit cautious - particularly if I start wearing with winter tights. How do others get on with microfibre - are they as good as cotton for down below health and well being?

Doobigetta Sun 18-Sep-16 19:11:10

I don't think so, and I won't wear any knickers that aren't cotton. It just feels nasty to me.

SnookieSnooks Sun 18-Sep-16 19:19:54

I now wear only microfibre. They're breathable and far more comfortable against the skin than cotton. They survive fine on 60 or even 75C washes. And they dry more quickly. They're great for sport too - they don't soak up so much sweat. What's not to like?

VanessaBet Sun 18-Sep-16 19:57:39

I only wear microfibre too, no problems whatsoever. The gussets in the M&S ones I get are cotton though. But yes, I find them so much better for a workout when you get sweaty and they're really smooth and comfy.

Chewbecca Sun 18-Sep-16 20:05:31

I don't know about health & well being but I have found I get much hotter in hot weather in them

sentia Sun 18-Sep-16 20:06:28

They give me thrush.

SellFridges Sun 18-Sep-16 20:06:33

God they're comfortable.

ilovecherries Sun 18-Sep-16 20:09:28

Haven't worn anything except microfibre for years.

SnookieSnooks Sun 18-Sep-16 20:54:23

I actually think they are cooler than cotton .... And I've not had thrush for years, despite being prone to it

Pisssssedofff Sun 18-Sep-16 21:03:30

Things have moved on with fabric technology it's not like nylon knickers back in the day. M&s with cotton gusset seems a good compromise though

Clayhead Sun 18-Sep-16 21:06:42

I've worn nothing else for years, gusset is cotton. Mine are from John Lewis. I find them much more comfy than cotton and much lighter/cooler.

BikeRunSki Sun 18-Sep-16 21:10:35

I found them very hot and sweaty. I do a lot of sport, and I am all for "clever" synthetics, but do like my pants to be cotton.

janethegirl2 Sun 18-Sep-16 21:13:08

Cotton only for me.

burnishedsilver Sun 18-Sep-16 21:19:11

I bought them once by accident and, despite a cotton gusset, they were horrible.

CallarMorvern Sun 18-Sep-16 21:36:32

DH only wears microfibre boxers, if he gets hot and sweaty then cotton stays wet, microfibre doesn't ( sorry, that sounds grim). I'm the same with bras, can't stand cotton, they feel damp. Synthetic all the way. I play badminton in Tencel cropped jeans, couldn't stand to do that in cotton. But...my knickers are always cotton, I think mainly because they are cheap and I haven't actually seen cheap packs of microfibre..

leedy Mon 19-Sep-16 09:52:51

I'm wearing some now! [twirls, shows thread pants]

They're the John Lewis ones with a cotton gusset and they're great, very light and comfortable. I have a couple of pairs of the M&S ones too. Seem breathable enough, or at least haven't caused any nethers problems in hot weather (and I'm also thrush-prone).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now