Unhappy with hair colour

(17 Posts)
goldlion Sun 18-Sep-16 08:07:46

Went to my usual hair dressers.I spoke to her earlier in the week as I wanted to go grey all over. Am usually highlighted blonde, she normally uses a colour and a bleach.
I had a skin test the other day so was all prepared.
She said that she was going to do a full head of bleach highlights and then the toner on top to make it grey.
Had it done..toner was put on twice and left my hair looking a lovely grey or so I thought.
Once I got home I started having a proper look and my grey isn't on my roots by quite a long way. I also have sort of orangey browny stripes throughout...I guess it's the non high lighted hair? And maybe looks a different colour against the grey.
I wanted grey not highlighted hair so what would you do? Would it be unreasonable of me to return on Monday?
I've ordered some of the fudge clean blonde shampoo on my hairdressers advice as she said it'll prolong the grey colour....will this tone the roots to match at all???? Thanks!!

Indecisivejo Sun 18-Sep-16 08:24:29

I'm a bit confused as to why she did highlights if u said u wanted to be grey "all over" highlights never gives u an all over block colour and a hairdresser would know this! I would definitely call the salon Monday and tell them ur not happy and never got what u actually asked for! They need to fix it free of charge. Can u post a pic of ur hair on here for us to see?

goldlion Sun 18-Sep-16 08:47:16

Excuse the frown. Here is a pic of the roots.
I guess I shouldn't have assumed and I should have asked more questions.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 18-Sep-16 10:19:41

I think it looks good in the pic.
If you want it a lighter grey all over, you'd need to get all your hair lightened and then dyed grey. I'm guessing you're hoping to go grey naturally over time(?) so you may just have to grin and bear this phase until it greys naturally.

A toning shampoo like the one you mentioned, will help neutralise some of the brassy hair so is worth using.

The other alternative is to go back to your blonde highlights if you can't get used to your new look but I think it looks quite natural. You might just need time to get used to it.

goldlion Sun 18-Sep-16 10:43:33

Thanks!

It's not that bad. I was just expecting more grey but I think the shampoo will help..if tomorrow it doesn't look a bit better I will go back and have a chat with my hairdresser about getting all of it lightened as you suggested.

She's lovely hence my reluctance to go back blush

If she is good then she won't mind you going back. I once paid a lot of money to get my hair stripped and coloured. It was patchy and I was unhappy. They had no problem putting it right for me. I hope you get it how you want it.

goldlion Sun 18-Sep-16 11:16:04

Thanks all. Just took another pic of the side so you can see a bit more that it's not quite right

danTDM Sun 18-Sep-16 11:45:35

I think it looks fabulous! I wouldn't say it was grey though.

Catdogcat Sun 18-Sep-16 12:04:02

I'm a silvery grey colour and my hairdresser does whole head bleach then grey toner, no highlights. I do have to really deep condition way more than I did with just highlights though,

What you have does look lovely though but obviously if it's not what you wanted then you should let her know.

ginghamstarfish Sun 18-Sep-16 18:33:24

Looks fine but not really grey, maybe she can put a toner on it?

Innermagic Sun 18-Sep-16 23:08:15

Going grey is a process that will take a few salon visits. In order to go grey you have to eliminate all the warmth in you hair and lift it to a platinum white then tone it twice.
If you normally just have hilites then going for an all over bleach is a big deal this is probably why your hairdresser only done a full head of foils instead,
Toners only last a week or so anyway and are not permanent so you have to maintain it at home yourself

Truckingalong Mon 19-Sep-16 07:29:38

The 2 different pics show 2 different colours. It looks much more ash grey in the top one and just straightforward blonde in the 2nd. LOVE the colour in the first pic! Purple shampoo can help but you can also get a lilac cast with them. Jerome Russell silver toner is much better.

goldlion Mon 19-Sep-16 09:27:10

It does look different in the different photos. It's hard to show what it looks like but in real life but the front and sides are grey but the rest as it's not highlighted is a yellowy peachy browny colour (maybe my natural colour?!?) Or maybe as it's a contrasting colour it looks strange.
Waiting in hairdressers now for my hairdresser....

MoBro Mon 19-Sep-16 12:33:56

Your hairdresser should have told you it was a process. The hair that is not yet platinum needs to be highlighted which would normally be done on your second appointment. Then a dual toning session. It's lovely but certainly not grey yet.

goldlion Mon 19-Sep-16 13:11:49

I'm going back later in the week to have a full head of bleach and then the grey again.
I think we were talking at Cross purposes. I wanted a full head of grey and just said 'I want to go grey' she told me on Thursday when i went for the skin test thingy she wouldn't be doino a full head of bleach as it may burn my head. So I just assumed she was going to achieve the same effect another way. I thought she had foiled my entire head but she had given me highlights. Im not an expert on hair at all so just left her to it.
She seemed a bit put out so not sure if it's gone down very well.
I don't know if I should expect to pay full whack again but I'd rather that than have this hair.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 19-Sep-16 14:30:40

Could you ask for a discount at least because you weren't happy with the last colour? (says me, the person who never complains. I tell the hairdresser I love it, give a tip and go home and cry grin)

I hope your next appointment goes to plan. Would love to see an "after" pic. smile

goldlion Mon 19-Sep-16 14:43:38

Haha yes that's me too! I've tied it back til Wednesday now smile
I will post an after pic.
Thanks for all the help & advjce

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now