timeless or dated?

(38 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Fri 16-Sep-16 20:31:23

I was after a waterproof one for all coat for winter (smart and school run) but I don't think its achievable really. I love pea coats and wonder what you think of this for a mid thirties?
coat

keeponkeepinon Fri 16-Sep-16 20:34:53

or this peacoat

another? peacoat

collarless

ButterBeanSoup Fri 16-Sep-16 20:37:34

I think if you look like the model in the first link, it's all good. However, if you're normal (i.e., 5'4", pear-shaped and over 30), it might not work.

ButterBeanSoup Fri 16-Sep-16 20:38:35

EDIT: really like he last one you posted. A completely different beast, in my opinion!

Klchi Fri 16-Sep-16 20:40:31

A Barbour wax jacket? (Some look farmer like! But last forever!) I live in a farm and have had mine for 4years! I've also got a more "trendy" wax one for school run!

Fuzzypeggy Fri 16-Sep-16 20:44:46

Keepon, I'm loving your coat quest! Could you buy 2 coats? A waterproof one and a pea coat? I think you're right, that a one for all coat does not exist. You will remember that I have the joules waterproof one, but I also have a parka for proper winter and several wool coats, a couple of fake furs and some other jackets. I dont have a lot of money to throw around but I've collected them over the years and some are more than 10 years old. Not for everyone but I know I couldn't live with just a one for all coat because it doesn't exist for me.

keeponkeepinon Fri 16-Sep-16 20:45:01

Not pear shaped, but ample of bosom and I hate how I can look more bulky in coats because of it. Short and over 30 though. Does that rule em out? grin

I don't really like it.

How about something like this? & waterproof? ink{http://www.shop-outdoors.co.uk/merrell-ellenwood-insulated-women-s-jacket.html?fee=13&fep=12350&gclid=COfylIvTlM8CFUUq0wodVkQJMA\www.shop-outdoors.co.uk/merrell-ellenwood-insulated-women-s-jacket.html?fee=13&fep=12350&gclid=COfylIvTlM8CFUUq0wodVkQJM]]A}

www.shop-outdoors.co.uk/merrell-ellenwood-insulated-women-s-jacket.html?fee=13&fep=12350&gclid=COfylIvTlM8CFUUq0wodVkQJMA

keeponkeepinon Fri 16-Sep-16 20:51:09

still here fuzzy blush and still not posted back that joules parcel yet...
I do actually have a very warm and basically waterproof black parka which is perfectly good for school run and winter. I am being silly really. I've had it a good couple of years now and fancy a change but there's no truly justifiable reason. I just want to feel smarter.

I like the last M&S coat a lot too. Bloody pricey though, but very smart (too smart for a scruff like me?)

Fuzzypeggy Fri 16-Sep-16 20:53:16

The last coat is lovely but I think it depends on if you have the occasion to wear it much. My smartest wool coat is 10 years old, I rarely wear it now but over the years in a corporate job, it got lots of wear.

keeponkeepinon Fri 16-Sep-16 20:53:21

that merrell one looks smart

ButterBeanSoup Fri 16-Sep-16 20:53:35

Out if everything I've seen, is go the M&S every time. Lovely scarves, skinnies/ opaques and little boots. Can't go wrong imo.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 16-Sep-16 20:54:00

Hmm, bit dated imho. Especialy the collarless one.

I'd go for the Merrell too.

I love Merrell costs. I have the Haven (more like a parka) but I think the Ellenwood is smarter.

keeponkeepinon Fri 16-Sep-16 21:06:21

ellenwood seems very difficult to get hold of?

EnidButton Sat 17-Sep-16 00:55:27

If you're after a coat to make you feel smarter then the Merrell one really isn't it.

I don't think wanting to feel nice is silly at all.

A wool coat with a scarf, skinnies and boots like Butter said is a classic. Get the M&S one that you love. You'll get lots of wear out of it and from the sound of it you don't buy yourself clothes often so the cost will be worth it per wear.

burnishedsilver Sat 17-Sep-16 01:06:15

The petite pea coat that you have linked to also comes in a non petite 'fuller bust' size. It might be worth a try.

burnishedsilver Sat 17-Sep-16 01:07:47

Oh, and in answer to your question - timeless.

keeponkeepinon Sat 17-Sep-16 08:00:14

Scarves, Skinnies with boots and opaques for work is my uniform. It's just that I've been putting it with a perfectly practical and warm but not terribly stylish parka. I could save that for wet days and the depths of winter.
Peacoat is great for work and going out, but the collarless one looks very smart indeed. I think I'd always feel very dapper in that.
The collarless coat is timeless yes? I would most likely wear it with a variety of scarves. It's so expensive though! It would have to be something that's going to last for years at that price.
What is sizing like on m&s coats.? I am trying to lose weight so don't want to buy something that'll be huge after I get down.

keeponkeepinon Sat 17-Sep-16 08:08:26

I also wonder if a longer sleek cut might be more flattering for me. Rather than cut right on the bum?!
I do have a very nice trench/mac from hobbs I got in the sale, but it's very purple and now I feel it's a bit loud. There's another reason to feel wasteful!
Do you think I could dye it? I think it's mostly cotton with a tiny bit of elastane, the lining is viscose and rayon if memory serves. It's nice, but the purple is a bit limiting.
I'm supposed to be having a no spend year starting in September, but if that joules waterproof goes back then I'm justifying it by thinking it's just replacing the one I bought then sent back!!

ImAMorningPerson Sat 17-Sep-16 08:11:32

Love the collarless one. That is timeless.

deathtoheadlice Sat 17-Sep-16 08:15:23

I think if you've got breasts and curves the double -barrelled buttons aren't going to look as good as a single line would. Definitely can't carry that off myself, it emphasises width too much on me.

keeponkeepinon Sat 17-Sep-16 08:47:06

If only it was in stock to try in my local m&s! I am between the peacoat and the longer collarless now.

ImAMorningPerson Sat 17-Sep-16 08:48:54

Buy it, try then send it back if no good?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now