I hate my hair- help me find a style

(17 Posts)
HuckleberryGin Fri 16-Sep-16 14:05:03

It is thick, really thick. Hairdressers always comment. They often have to get someone more experienced to wash it at the salon, so that it actually gets wet and washed all the way through.

It is also frizzy. Not quite curly, not nice wavy, just mad frizzy. I have never been able to find a hairstyle that is low maintenance. I've been to loads of hairdressers, spent fortunes, but none can do me anything that doesn't require hours of drying and straightening. Even doing it curly involves individually curling strands.

I don't have time for the faff, neither can I be arsed half the time. I look shit with my hair tied up, so end up feeling crap.

I've tried the curly girl method but that didn't help really, perhaps because my hair isn't strictly curly, more wavy.

I'd love short hair, but pretty sure it wouldn't suit me and the thick frizzy hair wouldn't make it feasible. I'm pretty close to shaving my head and getting a wig.

imjessie Fri 16-Sep-16 14:09:09

Do you use product ? It sounds like my hair but I can't leave it without product !

Greyinglady Fri 16-Sep-16 19:47:26

Boots pink curl cream is very good at taming frizz and it is only £1.99.Also having lots of layers can make curly/wavy hair more manageable.

RavioliOnToast Fri 16-Sep-16 19:51:24

My hair was massive!!!! I got it thinned at the salon and my God has it changed my life!

PopadomPointer Fri 16-Sep-16 20:14:33

A short crop could work well. A la Audrey Tatou.

EnidButton Fri 16-Sep-16 20:27:05

A crop definitely won't work on very thick frizzy hair. That type of hair needs a bit of weight.

botemp Fri 16-Sep-16 20:40:16

Have you considered a digital perm? It's a little bit more high tech and not poodle like at all, think more beachy waves that always look styled that way. £££ though and you'd need to keep new growth in check but on a day to day basis would require very little effort.

Soozikinzi Fri 16-Sep-16 20:44:58

Have you tried the Brazillian keratin treatment? it's horrible to do yourself it smells awful and you have to wear gloves or you'll get a rehash but you can buy it on eBay for about £12 and it gets rid of frizz for about 3months

Pupsiecola Fri 16-Sep-16 22:13:55

Your hair sounds a bit like mine OP. Although my individual hairs aren't that thick but I have a lot of hair. When I have it coloured they always have to mix up two batches and it's only shoulder length.

A hairdresser changed my life though by suggesting that every other time I have it cut I have none off the length but instead have it thinned out, especially through the middle of the back (my hair seems to grow outwards as much as down). It's made a huge difference and is far more manageable. Takes me less time to dry it too. My other game changers are Pureology shampoo and conditioner (dry hair) and a Parlux hair dryer. Plus a little Liz Earle hair oil on the ends.

SirChenjin Fri 16-Sep-16 22:17:08

Watching with interest as I have similar hair. How do your hairdressers thin your hair?

Pupsiecola Fri 16-Sep-16 22:49:09

Mine uses those thinning scissors. I always thought they were the sign of a crap hairdresser (I read that somewhere) but then one explained that it depends how they're used.

Pisssssedofff Fri 16-Sep-16 22:52:41

There's a girl in London, Lynsey something who will layer without thining scissors. Someone will know who I mean. Frizz apparently means lack of moisture

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 16-Sep-16 22:59:33

Try Googling Brazilian blow dry and consider that as someone suggested. I think you'll have trouble doing it at home but if you can afford to pay a hairdresser to do it, then don't hesitate. It may change your life (well your hair anyway grin)

Warning; it's expensive.

SirChenjin Fri 16-Sep-16 22:59:58

I had the best cut ever some years ago by someone who was a whizz at thinning scissors but no hairdresser since has wanted to use them - they just do this 'cut into the ends' thing which doesn't really take the weight away sad

Pisssssedofff Sat 17-Sep-16 07:02:13

Here we go. The woman is a genius
m.facebook.com/LindseyHughesCurlWhisperer/

Pisssssedofff Sat 17-Sep-16 07:04:20

Brazilian blow dries trash your hair, it'll ruin the condition

MiniCooperLover Sat 17-Sep-16 07:27:54

Years ago I had the Yukos straightening done in my hair, best thing I ever did !!! Leaves it straight, shiny snd in really good condition. I went to a guy called Brad at Color Nation in Covent Garden. Pricey but so worth it !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now