'Dress down' interview outfit.

(8 Posts)
EarSlaps Thu 15-Sep-16 22:48:42

I have an interview tomorrow for a finance job. I have just had a message to say it's the office dress down day, so wear whatever I feel comfortable in. I'm a stay at home mum at the moment and tend to live in the usual SAHM uniform- leggings and tunics, skinny jeans or cropped chinos depending on season, so that's not going to cut it!

DH has suggested a smart pub outfit as the general vibe. So I was thinking some cropped patterned cigarette trousers (black and white pattern so funky but still sober) and a little shell blouse thing. Do you think that strikes the right sort of tone?

PeachMelba78 Fri 16-Sep-16 06:35:06

That sounds good to me! Good luck!

EarSlaps Fri 16-Sep-16 07:23:57

Phew! Always difficult to know how to play it!

Stellabystarlight Fri 16-Sep-16 07:27:46

Yes, smart pub sounds like the way to play it and your outfit sounds ideal. I just think they are indicating you should avoid wearing a suit when everyone else is in jeans and converse but you'd hardly feel interview ready in that, so somewhere in the middle is what I would do too.

EarSlaps Fri 16-Sep-16 08:17:51

Thank you both!

And the plus side too is it's not obvious at drop off that I'm off for an interview!

PaperdollCartoon Fri 16-Sep-16 10:35:42

Our office dress down is really dress down (jeans, tshirt, trainers) unless anyone has client meetings that day, but we're not a very dressy office anyway. Your pub outfit sounds perfect, good luck x

sentia Fri 16-Sep-16 10:37:28

I would always wear a jacket for an interview; do you have a casualish cropped one that would go with what you're planning (which sounds good btw)? It's always better to be slightly over-dressed for an interview I think.

EarSlaps Fri 16-Sep-16 11:29:52

Yes, I did wear a jacket- a quite soft structured one with 3/4 sleeves. I've had it now and they are hoping to let me know by Monday. There are a couple of other people in the running but at the very least it's good interview practice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now