How to style a pinafore dress?

(15 Posts)
Tearsneverdry Wed 14-Sep-16 16:53:39

I've bought two which I love but never wore a pinafore since I was about 6.
I can't help but feel I'm wearing a apron.
I've got one in burgundy and the other is khaki.
Help

Kez0777 Wed 14-Sep-16 17:30:36

I've got a burgundy cord one which I wear t shirts under or I've got some really nice patterned white long sleeve shirts from pull and bear they look really lovely 😃

Tearsneverdry Wed 14-Sep-16 17:31:41

Mine is a cord one too with gold buttons.
Thankyou il get some white long sleeve tops
:-)

Fuzzypeggy Wed 14-Sep-16 17:39:33

I try to wear mine in a "grown up" way to avoid the toddler issue. Mine is short and black so I wear it with black opaques, black shoes boots with a high heel, and a blouse type top underneath. Looks nice for work. I'd like to do the trainer look with it but my legs look rubbish in short skirt and flats

NantucketNightbird Wed 14-Sep-16 17:40:11

I'm desperate for one of these! But my daughter wears cord pinafores in the winter so I'm a little unsure confused.

neveradullmoment99 Wed 14-Sep-16 21:48:32

I wear them and in my late forties. A long sleeved t-shirt, opaque tights and boots looks great.

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 14-Sep-16 21:54:58

I have a black one and a navy one, both cord, and a dark blue denim one. I either wear a blouse with opaques and flat Chelsea boots, or a stripy top with opaques and trainers (Stan Smiths or Gazelles, both black). I think the trick is to keep the underneath thing neat/fitted otherwise you can get a bit lumpy with layers.

ItGoesWithoutSaying Thu 15-Sep-16 08:59:07

I have a couple and second what Judydreams says. The thing underneath should be fitted - and not too long or it tends to ride up. Great with tights and boots.

PinkissimoAndPearls Thu 15-Sep-16 08:59:44

I love pinafore dresses. With my (vintage Laura Ashley <strokes it lovingly>) cord one which has pockets (bliss!) I wear it with blouses underneath, and with denim ones I wear with cotton T shirts or thin long sleeve jumpers.

I particularly love little pinafore/shift dresses with matching jackets, like an air hostess in the 60s, but recognise I may be alone in this grin

PinkissimoAndPearls Thu 15-Sep-16 09:00:26

Oh and I tuck my tops into my tights so they don't ride up.

I'll leave now...

Rshard Thu 15-Sep-16 09:02:40

These sound lovely, where can I find one?

ItGoesWithoutSaying Thu 15-Sep-16 09:26:10

Shops are full of them. There was a thread recently which linked to some.

Rshard Thu 15-Sep-16 09:36:54

Thanks, I'll check out the thread

coveredinhopeandvaseline Thu 15-Sep-16 14:21:37

PinkissimoAndPearls I do that too...zero judgement.

I've seen some gorgeous ones too but being fat and 34 with a face like the back end of a bus I think I have to avoid!

I'm getting both excited and frustrated with the 90's stuff out at the moment, how do you carry it off as an adult? I've already accidentally ordered an A-line faux suede skirt that I know I can't wear. In my head though, I'd be a curvy size 10 again and wear it with opaque tights, cute heeled rogue ankle boots and a v-neck jumper and kick through crunchy leaves in the woods...blushgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now