A perfume that is gorgeius AND long lasting?

(24 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Tue 13-Sep-16 07:38:26

Does such a thing exist? There are lots of perfumes I like but they're gone within a few hours so what is the point of wearing them and spending all that money on them?

Anyone got any ideas?

gastropod Tue 13-Sep-16 07:43:52

Jo Malone fragrances usually have very good staying power. I find some of them a bit strong, but the Earl Grey and Cucumber is lovely, and it smells the same after a few hours as when you've just applied it. A bottle lasts for ages.

SerenDippitee Tue 13-Sep-16 07:44:00

What kind of scents do you like?

As a general rule, the greater the concentration of the scent, the longer it will last. So parfum lasts longer than eau de parfum, which lasts longer than eau de toilette, which lasts longer than cologne. Different scents last differently on different people, too, so you'll need to try any recommendations for yourself.

SerenDippitee Tue 13-Sep-16 07:46:00

Ha, gastro - Jo Malone is the one brand I'd actively avoid if prioritising longevity. The scents are all colognes, which is the weakest.

Snafflebrain Tue 13-Sep-16 07:52:38

I have a couple of Pengaligon perfumes and I find they last all day. I love them. I get regular compliments from random strangers when I wear the Cornubia perfume.

StUmbrageinSkelt Tue 13-Sep-16 07:54:56

Penhaligon is good.

Definitely not Jo Malone. They vanish quickly although they are lovely.

Destinysdaughter Tue 13-Sep-16 07:55:07

I didn't even know there was a difference between parfum and eau de parfum!

Which scents are parfums?

I like Jo Malone but haven't found them especially long lasting.

proudmummyoftwo Tue 13-Sep-16 07:56:17

Chanel no 5! Gorgeous and really lasts

gastropod Tue 13-Sep-16 07:58:25

SerenDippitee, honestly the Jo Malone ones last on my skin for absolutely ages. Way, way longer than other perfumes that I have, including eaux de toilette. (I don't wear eau de parfum so OK I can't compare there)

Destinysdaughter Tue 13-Sep-16 08:06:15

I read that putting oil or Vaseline on your skin first makes perfumes last longer, has anyone tried this?

Will have to put it on one wrist and compare it with the other one...!

bubblegirl67 Tue 13-Sep-16 08:25:41

Chanel "Chance Eau Fraiche" is wonderful, really light, fresh, lasts ages and have often been stopped by strangers to ask what fragrance it is smile

SerenDippitee Tue 13-Sep-16 08:43:01

Interesting, gastro! You must have very cologne-friendly skin smile

Destiny, different scents are available in different concentrations. Most modern releases will only be available in one, or occasionally both, of edt and edp. 'Classics', for example Chanel and Guerlain, are often available in parfum, edp, and edt and the different concentrations can smell very different: the edt of No 5 is quite different to the edp, for example.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 13-Sep-16 10:12:58

Could you try "layering" your fragrance with matching body cream or shower gel? I agree that Jo Malone is generally terrible for longevity, but I think the more spicy ones are hard to shake - the Pomegranate Noir is really pungent and lasts forever, whereas something like Lime, Basil and Mandarin is gone immediately. (I'm not a fan, and think there are far nicer ranges for less money.)

Lonelynessie Tue 13-Sep-16 12:41:58

I've recently been wearing Diptyque Do Son and it lasts me all day. I put it on before work the other morning and my oh commented on how nice it was when I got home that evening.

i8E314 Tue 13-Sep-16 12:50:03

Madonna. Tenner in heatons and it smells like miller harris "tuberose"

cheeseandmarmite15 Tue 13-Sep-16 13:26:17

Al rehab fragrance oils.

I've stopped buying shop bought perfumes and only wear fragrance oils.

Destinysdaughter Tue 13-Sep-16 19:41:59

I tried the Chanel Chance Eau Fraiche and 6 hours later it's still going strong!

Destinysdaughter Wed 14-Sep-16 19:25:57

So I tried using Vaseline on one wrist and not the other today. The Vaseline one is still going strong at the end of the day compared to the other wrist so it definitely works! 😀

Zombiemama Wed 14-Sep-16 19:27:39

Love the Gucci Guilty black perfume lasts ages after a spray in Boots

Destinysdaughter Wed 14-Sep-16 19:28:00

To clarify, I put Vaseline on one wrist and then sprayed perfume on it and put perfume on the other wrist on just bare skin!

DorindaJ Wed 14-Sep-16 19:48:56

Oooh, will give the Vaseline prior to perfume application a try... The thing about perfume, is that one has to apply them and then sniff. They can smell completely different on different people.

My favourite scent is Rose by Paul Smith, are there any similar scents that I might like? I am keen to purchase fragrance oils or parfum/eau de parfums...

Destinysdaughter Wed 14-Sep-16 20:14:24

Ooh yes do try it, so I know it's not just me! I'm not a perfume expert but have always wanted to be one of those glamorous elegant women who left a trail of gorgeous scent behind them...lol 😀

Branleuse Wed 14-Sep-16 20:18:45

Tom ford perfumes last ages and ages, but expensive

BaconAndAvocado Wed 14-Sep-16 20:54:03

All Thierry Mugler perfumes last a long time on me. Womanity is gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now