Hairspray...does anyone use it? Is Ellnett any good?

(20 Posts)
woowoowoo Sat 10-Sep-16 16:26:29

That's it really. Does Ellnett live up to the hype and is it really worth paying extra for over other cheaper brands.

Thank you

Buzzardbird Sat 10-Sep-16 16:28:32

I purely use it because I like the smell. As an actual hairspray it's pretty shite tbh. Doesn't leave your hair sticky or stiff but not convinced it does much.

PotatoBread Sat 10-Sep-16 16:29:54

I think it is. My hair became drier using cheaper hairspray (because they have a higher alcohol content apparently). I won't use any other hairspray. Boots quite often has offers in it eg 2 for £9 or they are currently £5 each. Or online.

NicknameUsed Sat 10-Sep-16 16:30:59

Occasionally, and yes, it works on my hair.

PotatoBread Sat 10-Sep-16 16:31:01

I think the flexible hold one is a bit shite but love the normal hold one.

NattyGolfJerkin Sat 10-Sep-16 16:31:59

I really hate the smell of Ellnett, I don't understand the love for it. It's choking.

Shitonyoursofa Sat 10-Sep-16 16:36:55

I have to use hairspray as I have fine hair and a fringe which flies around all over the place without it. I swear by Tigi Bed Head Masterpiece which you can get for 6.99 from B&M, nothing else comes close for me - holds really well and you don't get that strange crispy / shiny effect that a lot of hairsprays give. It's a bit expensive but lasts me about 3 months as it's a massive can.

woowoowoo Sat 10-Sep-16 16:41:19

Thanks for the replies so far.

Sounds like a very silly question...but what do you actually use Hairspray for? It is to stop frizz, control flyaways, to hold a particular style in place, or something else?

I want something to keep frizzies at bay and achieve a smooth over all affect. I have thick, wavy hair that frizzes and grows bigger in moisture. I straighten it but, after an hour or so, it looks like I hadn't bothered!

Sighsofthetimes Sat 10-Sep-16 16:44:57

Agree with Natty hate the smell of Ellnett wafting around my face.
Have fine hair so use Superdrugs own brand extra firm hold Unperfumed hairspray. Does the job without the cloying scent.

Buzzardbird Sat 10-Sep-16 16:45:06

It will be great for that woo. There are so many different ones they sell but I think 'normal' will cover what you're looking for.

Jammygal Sat 10-Sep-16 19:13:43

I find Ellnett stinks of pee ....I find it absolutely unbearable.....is that just me? I'd rather have frizzy hair than hair that stinks of cat piss wink

Shakey15000 Sat 10-Sep-16 19:16:21

Love the smell. And always feel like I'm not posh enough to use it grin

CallarMorvern Sat 10-Sep-16 19:32:08

DD wanted hairspray, I don't use it, but remembered Elnett from my teens and bought her a small can. It stinks of wee, I thought it was just my dodgy sense of smell, but it seems I'm not the only one.

Buzzardbird Sat 10-Sep-16 19:46:44

You guys must have lovely smelling wee? You obviously don't eat asparagus. grin

PotatoBread Sat 10-Sep-16 19:52:23

Unless I'm obliviously walking around in a cloud of piss smell without realising I don't get the waft of pee from my Elnett

JockMonsieur Sat 10-Sep-16 19:56:24

i use hairspray for up-dos at work, to help keep the flyaways down.

i'm another one who buys ellnett just for the smell - it reminds me of my dear departed mum. or perhaps she just smelled of wee confused.
Silvikrin is good and much cheaper if you don't get on with ellnett.

Buzzardbird Sat 10-Sep-16 19:58:16

Ah, that's lovely Jock, I get the same with my Nan. I used to love the smel of Harmony, it smelled of flowers.

LittleMissWagtail Sat 10-Sep-16 20:10:06

Love Elnett- use it to stop frizz. My lovely, elderly neighbour gave me the best hairspray tip which is to spray it lightly onto the hairbrush and not your hair so you get a much lighter application. Works a treat for me.

Littlelondoner Sat 10-Sep-16 21:04:09

I love the smell...reminds me of my grandma. Nostalgic smells of ellnett and facepowder.

I love how easy elnett brushes put. Find other hairspray knots my hair.

woowoowoo Sat 08-Oct-16 17:49:58

Just thought I'd feedback that I have tried normal hold Elnett and I love it!

It does smell very old fashioned so can understand why some may not like it. I, however, don't mind the smell as it is not overpowering.

I have been using the 'spray on a hairbrush and brush through method' as my reason for using it is to keep frizzies at bay rather than hold a complicated style.

I am pleased to report that I really like it. It is not obvious at all and doesn't go hard and shiny like some brands. It makes my hair feel very soft and natural.

As an aside, I am currently trying the purple Gliss Asian Straight shampoo from Poundland. Just washed my hair with it and it felt nice. Not yet dried it so I will see if it is as good as people say....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now