Best ever primer suggestions please!

(29 Posts)
Howaboutthisone Thu 08-Sep-16 21:53:37

Just that really. Please recommend your amazing, go to primer!

Judydreamsofhorses Thu 08-Sep-16 21:55:11

Smashbox. I prefer the "light" one, but all the range is excellent.

dubdurbs Thu 08-Sep-16 21:56:40

Maybelline Baby skin, the blue one. Works with every foundation I've tried, and doesn't break me out in spots

Howaboutthisone Thu 08-Sep-16 22:08:32

The smash box one sometimes makes me break out. Strange as the MAC one doesn't. I wondered about one of the benefit ones or the touche eclat one but I'll definitely look into the maybelline one- price wise it would be good if that suited me!

pineappleeyes Thu 08-Sep-16 22:09:41

I asked this question on here a few months ago. I got the Barbara daly trade secrets primer from tesco it's fab & only £10. I also use a stila one which is great, that's about £22.00.

PaxAmDays Thu 08-Sep-16 22:16:57

MAC Strobe, if you like the dewy glow look.

Queenbean Thu 08-Sep-16 22:18:28

Ummmmm what is primer?

ridinghighinapril Thu 08-Sep-16 22:32:18

What Queenbean said

hollinhurst84 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:35:00

Think of it like undercoat for paint. Gives a smooth finish and makes foundation last

pineappleeyes Thu 08-Sep-16 22:36:56

Evens out skin tone before you apply your make up

MrsHam13 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:40:21

Nivea sensitive post shave balm! All the beauty bloggers were going on about it. So I got it doubting it. Best primer I have ever used. Use it all clients now and their make up lasts hours. It's about five quid and often 3.99 on offer.

I will never go back to premium brands. Nivea has also now released a primer which a client tried and said it was amazing but I'm sticking with what I know is amazing.

katemess12 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:45:58

The Lancome UV Expert SPF50 makeup base.

I actually bought it when I was looking for a BB cream with SPF in it, and the lady at the counter told me it was BB cream, but it's not. It's colourless when applied to the skin, and the bloody tube (obviously I'm daft) says "makeup base". But it's the best primer ever.

Doesn't go completely matte, but doesn't stay greasy like some others do. It makes your pores virtually vanish, and makeup stays on all day. It's not heavily fragranced and doesn't make me break out.

I have the Hourglass Mineral Veil in my makeup draw as well, but I think it's hideously overpriced and useless. Thank Christ I only bought the travel size. It's watery and greasy and doesn't sit well over moisturisers or sunscreens, and it doesn't keep your makeup on for any longer than it would stay on not wearing a primer.

eurochick Thu 08-Sep-16 22:47:17

I like the Benefit one. porefessionelle or something like that. I've tried others but keep coming back to that one. Smash box is also pretty good.

MinervaMcG Thu 08-Sep-16 22:49:01

Trish McEvoy Eye Base.

Takes years off me and really helps eye make up stay on.

SilentlyScreamingAgain Thu 08-Sep-16 22:59:29

The best primer is the one that matches your skin type and the products you're using. Primers are oil, water or silicon based and if you used a water based primer with a silicon foundation, everything separates.

For example, a poster above doesn't like Houglass' Mineral Veil and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I've got really greasy skin and foundation is usually sliding down my face within hours or applying it but with Mineral Veil, I, more or less, need a power washer to get my foundation off at the end of the day, it's exactly what I'd apply it in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

What is your skin like; what foundation are you using; what are you hoping to get from the primer?

UnderseaPineapple Thu 08-Sep-16 23:04:58

It depends what you want the primer to do.

A good all-rounder that I love is Chanel le Blanc. It adds a bit of glow to the skin without being overly glittery and pearly. It makes foundations stay in place and not cling to dry bits. And sheers down foundations when mixed in with foundation.

eightbluebirds Fri 09-Sep-16 00:50:18

I find the benefit porefessional quite drying. I'm using rimmel ATM and it's fine but looking at recommendations

Ohchristmastreeohchristmastree Fri 09-Sep-16 06:49:29

I use biore spf 50 bright face milk. Not a primer but spf. However it blurs and mattifies so well that I don't wear foundation anymore. And is better than any primer or foundation I have used.
Only downside is it takes about 6 week to arrive. I'm waiting on one at the minute and can not wait until it arrives!

greenlizard Fri 09-Sep-16 13:33:40

Laura Geller - Spackle - feels a bit damp going on but holds your make up on great during the day and smooths out pores/greasy/dry bits and stops foundation sinking into lines/pore areas. You can get it from House of Fraser.

midsomermurderess Fri 09-Sep-16 16:02:13

I like the Barbara Daly one too.

myfriendnigel Fri 09-Sep-16 16:13:03

I've got Niod photography fluid (think that's what it's called). It cracking stuff.

Howaboutthisone Fri 09-Sep-16 23:02:03

That's a good point silently and undersea. Sorry for the delayed response- it's been a crazy day! I have normal if slightly sensitive skin. Occasionally I get a very slightly oily t zone but not very much. I wear Estée Lauder double wear light with Mac Mineralize skinfinish natural usually. I used to find that that would be pretty much as applied at the end of a day- busy mum/teacher- but now if feel all blotchy/ sweaty looking, especially in the current heavy/warm weather.
Looking for a primer to even up my face from fine lines and keep my makeup on primarily. It would be nice to look a bit more awake/youthful/like my children let me sleep at night too.
I seem to be asking a lot of a primer!blush

Howaboutthisone Sat 10-Sep-16 07:53:34

Oo - and I'm mid 30s

Ladybird08 Sat 10-Sep-16 07:58:13

Lanacane anti chafing gel.
Same ingredients as smashbox primer bit only costs £6.
Works a treat. I am on my 4th tube ☺

Sendraboots Sat 10-Sep-16 08:11:25

Shu uemura moose it's so light but gives a great base so make up shows up stronger and stays put really good for sweaty face days smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now