Best makeup tips

(28 Posts)
startwig1982 Wed 07-Sep-16 22:07:41

Since reading threads on style and beauty I have learned:

Greasy skin still needs moisturiser,
Primer is a must and makes a huge difference to longevity.

Anyone else want to share tips and products?

hollinhurst84 Wed 07-Sep-16 22:30:24

Tightlining eyes makes a huge difference (do just the upper waterline)

Powder only the bits that need it so you don't look flat

Use crap shampoo up by using it to hand wash stuff, clean the loo, wash makeup brushes

Use crap conditioner up to shave legs/pits

LA splash lip mousse doesn't budge off my lips for a good 10hrs (highly recommended) but it is very matte

Blending eyeshadow is made easier with a transition colour above the crease. Think about blending black on the lid to white above the crease - if you stick grey in between the two, there you go!

Experiment. It washes off

Don't use lip balm straight before bed as it will go everywhere and over your face which doesn't help spots

Wash hair before body, stops conditioner giving you back and chest spots

fadetoblack Thu 08-Sep-16 17:03:27

Use a sponge to apply foundation. Makes application a doddle and really improves the finished look. Use it wet for a more sheer look or dry for higher coverage. I like the real techniques one. I don't think that it makes you use more foundation, it just looks better!

Pupsiecola Thu 08-Sep-16 22:34:56

Use eyelash curlers and waterproof mascara.

Caroline Barnes is worth a follow on Instagram. She does brilliant little videos with lots of tips and tricks.

Truckingalong Thu 08-Sep-16 22:38:10

Tightliner does NOT go in the waterline. It goes right into the base/root of your lashes.

hollinhurst84 Thu 08-Sep-16 23:08:23

There's two different ways of tightlining. The one with the roots works great with a powder but still leaves the waterline bare. Honestly it makes a massive difference. I find the roots trick works best for natural makeup and leave waterline bare. But if you're wearing full eyemakeup then lining the upper waterline gets rid of that gap

jelly10 Thu 08-Sep-16 23:13:27

I'll ask...what is tightlining?! Sounds like something I should be doing!

emilywemily Thu 08-Sep-16 23:17:34

Place marking

hollinhurst84 Thu 08-Sep-16 23:18:01

I googled and there's a huge argument online on various sites blush
The main one is great if you want a natural look and you're not confident with liner and is basically wiggling a pencil or powder through the base of your lashes which makes them look thicker
The other part of it is more for if you're doing full makeup/eyeliner and it's lining the upper waterline which makes makeup look more "finished"

hollinhurst84 Thu 08-Sep-16 23:21:36

Like here I've lined the upper waterline and wiggled a pencil into the lash roots so there's no gap between the eyeliner on the upper lid

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 08-Sep-16 23:23:50

Tightlining can be two ways as hollinhurst says.

FindersKeeperz Thu 08-Sep-16 23:31:40

Place markingwink

Truckingalong Fri 09-Sep-16 06:45:42

Tightlining cannot be done in 2 ways. If you're doing the waterline, it's something else altogether.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 09-Sep-16 07:25:49

www.beautylish.com/a/vmqmg/how-to-tightline-eyes

wishiwasacollie Fri 09-Sep-16 08:02:51

Which eyeliner do people recommend?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 09-Sep-16 08:05:46

Actually the best I've used and it's also the cheapest is Aldi, I stock pile them when they are on special buy. Stays put brilliantly and good for between lashes and waterline.

ZootSuit Fri 09-Sep-16 11:21:44

Was also going to ask for a recommendation for eyeliner for tight lining. Will have a look in Aldi!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 09-Sep-16 11:31:10

The grey is particularly flattering.

cheeseandmarmite15 Fri 09-Sep-16 11:31:18

But a static pencil if you have spots!

Ever squeezed a spot and then put concealer and powder on then later on liked in the mirror with horror at the sight of a cornflake on your face where the spot has weeped!?

A sty prix pencil will effectively seal up blood and ooze immediately and you can then apply concealer and foundation over the top knowing the hole won't weep or ooze out!

cheeseandmarmite15 Fri 09-Sep-16 11:32:32

As you get older lipstick can look strange, so apply then smudge with your finger to get a muted look which looks better on an older face!

cheeseandmarmite15 Fri 09-Sep-16 11:33:52

Want strong healthy nails?

Forget expensive lotions and potions!

Adopt of Vaseline quickly rubbed into the nail base through to the tip at bedtime will have your nails looking long and feeling strong very quickly!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 09-Sep-16 11:34:46

Vaseline for nails is indeed amazing!

cheeseandmarmite15 Fri 09-Sep-16 11:35:49

Bought an expensive mascara that you love but can't afford to replace it?

Often it's the brush that gives you the look you love not the actual mascara!

Keep the brush from your old one and wash it thoroughly then buy a cheaper mascara and use the old brush.

cheeseandmarmite15 Fri 09-Sep-16 11:37:19

Use your car mirror to put on make up, it's the best natural light!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 09-Sep-16 11:37:41

Cheese, I do that and totally agree!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now