Handbag inspiration for 30th

(28 Posts)
April241 Wed 07-Sep-16 15:57:31

My 30th birthday is next month and I'd like some handbag inspiration please.

I'm currently 8 months pregnant with twins which has massively changed the price range I was looking at as I'd originally planned on a Mulberry but can't justify that amount now. I'd probably be looking at spending no more than £300 at a real push (even then I might not be able to hand it over!)

I'm looking for something in an oxblood/wine colour and a medium to large bag that I can use daily with enough room for all my own bits plus some baby supplies.

For info my biggest bag purchase was my Louis Vuitton neverfull MM which I love although it sat in its box for about 2 years before I plucked up the courage to use it!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

PNGirl Wed 07-Sep-16 16:16:27

Maybe Fossil? Up to about £200. I have last year's version of the Peyton Flap Crossbody and the Emma tote is a lovely colour in person.

www.fossil.com/uk/en/bags/womens-handbags/view-all.html?filter=xf_cas_f2_ntk_cs:Pink&filter=xf_cas_f2_ntk_cs:Red

MrsMillions Wed 07-Sep-16 16:16:55

In all honesty, and writing as a mum of 2 but not twins, you will not be able to go out with your children and just a handbag for some time (not until potty trained, basically). You just won't be able to fit everything in! So have a think whether you'd prefer
- the kind of handbag you'd use now, and accept you won't get to use it much for a while (maybe when you go back to work?), or
- a small handbag you can use just for your things, whilst keeping baby things separate, and use throughout maternity leave/weekends thereafter. I'd advise cross body here to keep your arms and hands free! I have a Marc Jacobs one, I probably use it about 50% of the time now - otherwise just put everything in the changing bag.

cheeseandmarmite15 Wed 07-Sep-16 16:23:50

www.russellandbromley.co.uk/all-handbags/ambition/invt/713445

pasturesgreen Wed 07-Sep-16 16:55:12

uk.coach.com/coach-designer-totes-market-tote-in-pebble-leather/37756.html?dwvar_color=SVFCW

www.lkbennett.com/Collections/Handbags/Orla-Mulberry-Saffiano-Leather-Tote/p/BTORLASAFFIANOLEATHERPurpleMulberry

April241 Wed 07-Sep-16 17:15:18

Thanks everyone! They're all brilliant suggestions, now to pick one.

MrsMillions I've got a changing bag aswell which I'll use for all the clothes/nappies etc that can live tucked under the pram most of the time but thought if I was going out my OH or my mum for a few hours say I could just take a few nappies/bags/bottles etc. Maybe I'm being too ambitious blush my OH has a changing bag too (he wanted a satchel bag) so he could take his with some extras too.

Fluffsnuts Wed 07-Sep-16 17:18:33

I bought a cambridge satchel at Christmas, just before baby arrived. I've used it 3 times sad Taking 2 bags out is just faff I find. Save your money until after the babies have arrived and see how you feel.

April241 Wed 07-Sep-16 17:23:13

Aw no fluff maybe I should just put it on hold then, babies will be here before my birthday so I'll try it out for a while with the bags I have (if I'm ever able to leave the house again) and can buy something later on.

StopMakingMeLogOn Wed 07-Sep-16 17:30:27

I think you should buy a nice bag, even if you don't use it much for a while. Once you have the babies all your money will disappear on stuff for them and you might feel that you can't justify the expense. I would do it now - 30 is a significant birthday and ought to be marked with something nice just for you.

I recommend Coach. They have some lovely things around the £300 mark

April241 Wed 07-Sep-16 18:06:25

Stop thats a very good point, I'll check out coach, there's a link up thread too and it's really nice - need to google and see who sells coach round me.

justaweeone Wed 07-Sep-16 18:35:46

Buy yourself a bag!
I always had a handbag as well as a changing bag.

chloechloe Wed 07-Sep-16 18:47:54

Definitely buy a small handbag and then hang a changing bag for the twins on the pram. You'll have more to lug around than you think if you need two changes of clothes etc etc.

DD is 17mo and I kind of regret just putting my stuff in the changing bag all the time - I feel less put together. It's also a pain at the weekend if I'm out with DH and decide to head off on my own to run errands or go shopping as I end up carrying my purse and keys around!

I'm now expecting No. 2 and wondering about getting a medium Lily just for me!

Definitely treat yourself - when the little ones are here it will never happen!

Alicesmith85 Wed 07-Sep-16 19:48:58

I've always used a handbag when out with my baby, along side the changing bag which id hang on the pram. I bought a lovely Osprey cross body from tk max also Michael kors do some nice cross body bags x

April241 Wed 07-Sep-16 21:18:52

You've all convinced me grin will definitely go bag shopping and see what I can see. Totally forgot about TK Max aswell, will have a rummage through there.

MrsMillions Thu 08-Sep-16 18:40:00

Happy shopping!

Cellardoor23 Thu 08-Sep-16 19:22:33

I have a Pacopod. I just use the pods as the bag is quite big and unnecessary for me at the moment. They can Velcro onto the pram handles or you can put them underneath. I have a more stylish cross body bag for my things. I feel less mumsy that way lol.

Blueberryblueberry Thu 08-Sep-16 19:28:48

Would also recommend cross body as you're much more likely to use it alongside a changing bag (unless using w bigger bag for work if/when you return). I end up doing the same as chloechloe - last week had to carry purse glasses and keys in a bloody bag for life after I left oh for a short while and did not look stylish grin

HmmmHashtag Thu 08-Sep-16 19:36:29

Have a look at Naughtipidginsnest online or on the Facebook Mulberry Swap Buy Sell pages... You never know you just might find a bargain!

Diamondsandpurls Thu 08-Sep-16 19:46:35

I have a version of this and it was on offer, you may find it cheaper elsewhere but just wanted to show it to you to see if it's what you're after. http://m.bonanzamarket.co.uk/listings/coach-scout-hobo-in-pebble-leather-light-gold-oxblood-/335699040?googpla=1&gpid=18283950120&keyword=&googg_pla=1&pos=1o4&ad_type=pla&gclid=CIHroIa3gM8CFYIW0wod78cGGA

fiorentina Thu 08-Sep-16 20:54:26

Other Stories had some lovely small bags in that colour. Cross body that's ideal for oral pushing. I still carried a handbag for me when I had small babies. I didn't just want a nappy bag!

Idontneedyourjudgement Thu 08-Sep-16 20:58:04

Kurt Geiger do lovely bags (great sales too!)
I was a mulberry girl before DC but like you,now can't justify the price so these are a nice compromise!

SerialBodenReturner Thu 08-Sep-16 21:01:22

I came on to say Coach and see others have already recommended them. Mine was £250 from Bicester outlet and I love it.

I also have twins! Although they're 8 now. But twins and nice bags are definitely possible smile. Happy choosing!

April241 Fri 09-Sep-16 18:09:35

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to shop around now, never thought of Kurt Geiger or swap sites, brilliant!

Carpaccio Fri 09-Sep-16 18:45:56

Keep in mind that Mulberry has outlets - I have bought bags from there, and they have been as good as the full-price bags with regards to quality, but just a bit cheaper.
They might not have the newest models or all of the colours, but you could give them a call to hear if they have anything you'd like - I have found them very helpful when I've called to hear what they've had in stock, and they do offer to send bags to you if you're in the UK - the postage charge is less than £10 as far as I remember.
You'll find their phone numbers on the Mulberry site; it's the Cheshire Oaks, Bicester Village, Somerset and York stores.

I would also suggest looking at Liebeskind bags. I quite like them and the quality seems good.

KARMAisaBtch Fri 09-Sep-16 23:00:59

MichAel Kors! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now