Footwear for Uni *Mature Student Alert*

(9 Posts)
TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 05-Sep-16 22:49:07

I need something comfortable enough to walk in (large campus) but on trend.

No big clumpy sporty trainers. No mum boots. Any ideas?

MizK Mon 05-Sep-16 22:52:24

I've lived in white converse and Nike Roshes for the last 3 years as a mature student. Everyone wears trainers and it's so good to be comfy. Did switch to leather ankle boots on rainy days but not frumpy ones, cute ones from Office.

MaitlandGirl Mon 05-Sep-16 22:59:01

Considering students at my uni turn up for 8am lectures in pjs and ugg boots I really wouldn't worry what you're wearing on your feet.

I wear slappers (Australian brand like fit flops) in the spring/summer/Autumn and army combat boots in the winter.

The only thing you might need to watch for (depending on your degree) is that you're wearing fully enclosed shoes/boots in the labs.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 05-Sep-16 23:00:20

I live in converse but I need something a bit less flat as there will be a loooooooooooot of walking up silly hills.

I think i'd look really silly in Nike Roshes.....I look sort of retro I suppose. I own not one item of clothes that would go with a sports shoe ifyswim.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 05-Sep-16 23:02:40

Maitland good grief grin. Pyjamas sounds tempting though.

Good point re: shoes for labs.

MaitlandGirl Mon 05-Sep-16 23:43:51

I can't wear converse as they're way too flat for me and all the walking kills my feet - hence the slappers (they've got inbuilt arch support so they're really comfy).

I dress for comfort rather than fashion - that's the great thing about uni, people genuinely don't care what you're wearing. It's so unlike high school smile

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 06-Sep-16 00:07:41

I've always dressed for an office rather than for comfort so I need to expand my casual wardrobe as I just don't have enough to get me through a week!

CoolToned Tue 06-Sep-16 00:12:40

I'm a mature age student. Everyone wear sneakers! I don't find Converse as comfortable as my big clunky Nike Air Max 90s, but yeah, those will do. Or try Adidas Stan Smith - it's not big nor clunky but I find it comfortable.

justilou Tue 06-Sep-16 09:11:23

I am 44 and returning to study next year... Have been thinking the same thing...
Love these leather trainers I saw yesterday at Zara (I'm in the Netherlands, so sorry about Dutch site) Comfy and room for gel inner soles.
m.zara.com/nl/nl/dames/schoenen/leer/leren-sneakers-met-brede-zool-c269194p3703016.html

But I liked these even better (buying some on pay day)
m.zara.com/nl/nl/dames/schoenen/leer/leren-high-top-sneakers-met-ritsje-c269194p3610283.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now