Can pear shaped people look good in pencil skirts?

(19 Posts)
campervan07 Sun 04-Sep-16 07:54:35

Currently on a diet and doing okay and trying to motivate myself by imagining future me in nice clothes.

I need to dress smartly for work and I always like the pencil skirt and tucked in top look but have always looked awful in it.

I have narrow shoulders, wide hips and not much gap between hips and ribs ie a short waist. Even if I lose the three stone I want to lose, will a pencil skirt work? Don't want unrealistic goals because if I lose what I want to lose, I want to feel happy not disappointed I still look crap.

PhyllisWig Sun 04-Sep-16 07:59:05

how is your tummy? I am a similar shape but with a tum too and no, they don't suit.

If no tummy they could be fine though. You'd need to be careful about the length given the short waist issue but otherwise you'll look lovely and curvy.

sandgrown Sun 04-Sep-16 08:02:20

Think pencil skirts can be very flattering on curvy women. You just need to get the right length/shape top.

campervan07 Sun 04-Sep-16 08:08:57

I definitely have a tummy. Sometimes still look pregnant as my stomach muscles haven't repaired after dc 2. Doing exercise buy think the tummy will never be defined really.

wowfudge Sun 04-Sep-16 08:09:48

Yes they can - I have lost quite a bit of weight this year and it's so nice to wear better-fitting clothes instead of just covering up. The issue for me is that in order to fit on the hips, they are often huge on the waist. You either have to try lots on to get the best fit, or have the skirt altered to fit. Another option is a skirt in a stretch fabric - the ruched skirts that are around at the moment work really well. I wear mine with pants that hold my stomach in. I'm working on that in the gym.

bobbilyknob Sun 04-Sep-16 08:19:10

I have a similar shape, whenever I try tucking a top into a pencil skirt, my hips just look like they are taking over my body, especially if the top is a different colour to the skirt. Think the length of the waist is a big decider.

bobbilyknob Sun 04-Sep-16 08:52:06

Sorry, just re-read your op and found my previous post quite demoralising! I am 5ft so my short waist is extremely short. Also, 3 stone can make massive difference to how you fit into clothes and I'm sure you won't be disappointed when you reach your goal!

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Sun 04-Sep-16 09:00:55

IMO pencil skirts look best on a pear or hourglass figure

They do look far better with a flat stomach and trim waist though!

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Sun 04-Sep-16 09:02:51

...but agree with wowfudge that it's not always easy to find a good fitting one if you're a pear as they tend to be either too narrow at the hips or too big at the waist

LieutenantUhurusGreenEarrings Sun 04-Sep-16 09:04:12

If you are thick they look fab.

ninnypoo Sun 04-Sep-16 09:04:24

Instead of tucking a top in, try a cropped body shape top that hangs at the same length as the pencil skirt waist band? I find that to be more flattering on me sometimes, particularly as the looser hanging top encourages the eye to skim past the stomach.

TheVeryThing Sun 04-Sep-16 09:07:27

I often see these recommended for pear shapes but many pears (including me) have those saddle bag thighs and pencil skirts look really awful.I think they look good on curvy hips/bum, but not if your thighs are your widest point.

NicknameUsed Sun 04-Sep-16 09:11:59

I agree TheVery. I am pear shaped and very conscious that my backside looks disproportionally large compared to the rest of me. I have 12" between my hips and waist which just accentuates my wide hips rather than making my waist look small.

I prefer slightly A line shaped skirts on me, or skater style.

RainbowInACloud Sun 04-Sep-16 10:26:08

Well done on your weight loss but don't hold out for pencil skirts. I am petite size 8 with flat tum and bigger bum and I could get away with them but there are so many more flattering things around.
Think of gorgeous fitted dresses with a slight a- line skirt to them, or slim pencil cut trousers and a blouse.
You'll have loads of options honestly.

FunkinEll Sun 04-Sep-16 10:34:04

They suit me if I'm doing exercise so don't have saddle bags.

It's hard to find one that has the right waist to hip ratio but when you do I think they look good.

I find 50s style skirts make me look much bigger.

Floisme Sun 04-Sep-16 10:40:39

Agree with Sand - pencil skirts work best with curves. If you're pear shaped you're halfway there and there are tricks that can help balance out your top half e.g. stronger colour or interesting jewellry. I'm not keen on tucked in but I like either a slouchy top or a very fitted, round neck cardi.

I always wear with big sucky in pants and, if you're planning to lose a lot of weight, don't forget to get refitted for a bra so that boobs can compete with arse. Agree with wow about ruched tube skirts.

Length makes a huge difference too. Play around to find what works but I find that just below the knee is best for me. Any shorter and my thighs look massive.

campervan07 Sun 04-Sep-16 12:11:53

Thanks for your responses. Sounds like it's a maybe but don't pin my hopes on it plus shop around for a well fitting one. I can live with that! Hoping shopping will be more fun when I am back to a healthy size.

JohnCheese Sun 04-Sep-16 12:24:55

It's a no from me. I acknowledge that I am probably over conscious of my hips and thighs but I too agree with TheVery. I like pencil skirts but I look a little ridiculous in them. As a pp said, my hips and thighs take over my body. I hate the look. And balancing out tops just make me look bigger than I am. I know the curvy stuff is in fashion, but there's curves and then there's curves.

Fitted a-line is my best skirt. I have a ruched skirt, it's fine, but with a long cardi.

justilou Sun 04-Sep-16 14:31:28

I have a similar shape to you (deformed shoulders are very narrow) Bigger ribcage & boobs, short waist, etc. I think you can wear a pencil skirt if it doesn't have a wide waistband that you are constantly fiddling with. If it's high-waisted and the waistband is wide, but fits firmly and doesn't drive you insane you can get away with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now