Where can I buy a timeless, investment piece, Weekend bag?

(17 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Sat 03-Sep-16 17:44:51

I travel for two nights at a time quite frequently and want to change from my cabin sized suitcase, to a hold-all.

I like the idea of a brown leather one, but other than some Barbour ones, I can't see anything online from a trustworthy brand. Happy to spend up to £300 for something that will get better with age?

Needs to be big enough for shoes, two changes of clothes, a bulky wash bag and a hairdryer.

TIA!

cressetmama Sat 03-Sep-16 20:30:17

Artifact Bags, via Etsy, make some that might tick the box. I like the Gardeners/Carpenters tote in canvas and leather but it might not be quite big enough.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 04-Sep-16 11:48:18

Cresses, they're lovely but I've not heard of the brand, do they weather well?

Pisssssedofff Sun 04-Sep-16 12:07:54

The long champ ones are supposed to be good, I use my cream leather nappy bag tbh, it was always too heavy for its original purpose but works well as an over night bag with lots of pockets

PNGirl Sun 04-Sep-16 14:06:40

Mine is a Hidesign one - similar to this but tan.

www.just4leather.co.uk/leather-holdalls-leather-holdall/hidesign-luxury-hamilton-leather-holdall-black

You could also try Scaramanga?

DameDoom Sun 04-Sep-16 15:04:02

I think leather would be unnecessarily heavy. I second Longchamp.They weigh next to nothing.

Queenbean Sun 04-Sep-16 15:08:27

My longchamp one is incredible, really hardy but you can put it in the washing machine

puglife15 Sun 04-Sep-16 15:14:33

Forbes & Lewis do some lovely leather weekend bags, I've got another one of their bags and it's a really nice design.

puglife15 Sun 04-Sep-16 15:18:37

Also, this is a weird suggestion but I've seen some really nice brown leather holdall bags in the men's section in Debenhams of all places! Ranging from about £150-250.

cressetmama Sun 04-Sep-16 15:43:52

MrsBert, that question I can't answer, but I would expect them to wear forever and develop a lovely age patina given the materials used. I have been coveting one for a year but have hesitated on ordering because by the time the customs etc is charged, I can't really tell what the delivered cost would be. (Made in the USA by craftsman, and from the last update note it's going well as they have just bought a factory building, which indicates happy customers.) For the time being, I've stuck to my trusty Pliage.

I did see a very lovely Annette Gortz bag in my local posh shop last week. Supple leather, zip top and very plain in a nicely neutral greeny-grey. Couldn't justify it for me, but trying to enable...

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 04-Sep-16 15:45:37

A friend has just ordered this which looks gorgeous.

leadrightfoot Sun 04-Sep-16 19:50:17

I have one of these now coming up to 10 years old
Weathered beautifully
Ialian

leadrightfoot Sun 04-Sep-16 20:02:15

Meant to stay have used it for up to 4 nights away with a suit carrier, 2 nights no issue. I have the tobacco coloured one and love it, had some lovely comments about it.

Talisin Sun 04-Sep-16 20:04:54

MrsCampbellBlack that is indeed gorgeous. Now trying to justify purchase...

WhooooAmI24601 Sun 04-Sep-16 20:12:51

I second the Eddie Harrop, I bought one in last year's sale and haven't stopped loving it since.

Nearlyadoctor Sun 04-Sep-16 20:14:06

www.dubarryboots.com/accessories-gifts/leather-luggage/durrow-weekend-bag

I've had this one for last 5 years, used regularly and just gets lovelier with age.

MrsBertMacklin Mon 05-Sep-16 09:08:46

Thanks, I think I might go for one of the plainer Eddie Harrops...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now