Please come and tell me about Converse type trainers

(31 Posts)
mustardcream Fri 02-Sep-16 18:15:14

Hello,
I feel I need to get myself a pair of converse type trainers but I'm confused. There are so many different brands, some are v expensive, do I need plain or patterned? What's fashionable/not fashionable (I'm late 40's and don't want to be mutton dressed as lamb). There are so many online places to buy them (Office, LaRedout, etc. I'm confused. Any advise?

QueenofLouisiana Fri 02-Sep-16 20:28:07

Have you tried any on? Neither DS nor I can wear converse, but I love Superga, he likes Vans. DH has gone back to Nike!

I'd see what fits and feels comfortable before deciding on the style- for reference I have silver leather, DS has burgers on one pair and stars on the other!

Madbengalmum Fri 02-Sep-16 20:29:42

Was going to suggest Superga. More comfy imho than converse.

Snog Fri 02-Sep-16 20:49:03

I just bought some navy hitops from office, they do a student discount of 10% if you are able to take advantage of it!

I would avoid the patterned ones. Converse are super hard wearing and last ages imo, also survive the washing machine.

BlueEyedWonder Fri 02-Sep-16 21:30:46

I have some white leather converse (not hightop style) and they're great. I also have silver supergas.
DR wears vans so I leave that brand to her!!
Son is wearing Nikes.
Husband New Balance.

justilou Sat 03-Sep-16 07:33:12

I love them, but they're very flat. I need to size up and put supportive inner-soles in.

Euphemia Sat 03-Sep-16 08:15:05

Dunlop canvas shoes look like Converse but are much comfier. Great quality and CHEAP!

I have them in grey and burgundy and I love them so much I've chucked my Converse out!

CallarMorvern Sat 03-Sep-16 22:53:35

I usually live in Converse, but bought some Rocket Dogs last week, I'm really loving them. I find the soles in cheaper Converse lookalikes tend to feel thin.

Chocogoingcuckoo Sat 03-Sep-16 23:00:52

Had a couple pair of converse, I like the look but I don't rate them so uncomfortable and gave me blisters. Latest buy is pink suede Adidas gazelles which are comfier.

PopFizz Sat 03-Sep-16 23:05:56

Another Dunlop fan here - I have burgundy, blue, purple, denim, love them

Kim82 Sat 03-Sep-16 23:07:33

I love my converse and wear them all the time. They're showing no signs of wearing after a 12 month's use. Dds aged 12 and 9 have some too and wear them constantly. I'll definitely be buying more as and when needed.

BennyTheBall Sat 03-Sep-16 23:08:42

I like Converse, but agree with others - they are very flat and not that comfortable.

I have recently bought 2 pairs of Adidas Gazelles and really love them.

I like Converse leather low tops. They work out as really good value for money, as they can be worn spring/summer as well as well into Autumn on all but the most rainy of days.

treaclesoda Sat 03-Sep-16 23:14:46

I was going to recommend Dunlop as well but I see others have beat me to it! A third of the price of Converse and ten times more comfortable smile

CakeNinja Sat 03-Sep-16 23:51:49

I finally caved and bought some converse in May - they are already coming apart (have tried to upload a pic and nothing is attaching) and the soles are still fairly unworn. I'm not impressed.
I have worn them on 2 long days with lots of standing around and my feet were very sore. There is no arch support whatsoever.

KARMAisaBtch Sun 04-Sep-16 00:42:34

You can't go wrong with a classic white Converse smile

I have white hi top & red normal trainers.

http://m.next.co.uk/g531674s2#148512

Next has £20 off when you spend £50 online so you can get this with just £30 plus.

I have few more free voucher codes, let me know if you want one. smile

OliveBranchCollins Sun 04-Sep-16 08:27:33

Another vote for Dunlops here have 3 pairs so comfy

FreakinScaryCaaw Wed 07-Sep-16 21:13:01

Will these be ok for a 13 hour shift or will my feet stink? I'm active at work.

Placeinthesun Wed 07-Sep-16 21:22:53

Hmmm... I have converse (one of the few shoe brands that fit my long narrow size 9's) and love them but I live in them from about May-Sept and find they are split at the sides and gone to holes and colour faded by the end if the summer, Dunlops I find wear out quicker and aren't quite as comfy.

I adore Rocket Dog's equiv but they only do weeny sizes IMHO.

Placeinthesun Wed 07-Sep-16 21:24:16

... Wrt 13 hour shift, bung a bit of athletes foot powder in them every morning if you're wearing them sockless... Keeps them fresh.

SpeckledyBanana Wed 07-Sep-16 21:25:26

Get Dunlops. V. cheap and oh so comfy smile

Champers4Pampers Wed 07-Sep-16 21:34:40

I have the standard converse and it took ages to break them in, even now on long distances they can rub.
Really like the ballet style ones, does anyone know of these are any more comfortable? Don't want to waste £40 odd quid.

FreakinScaryCaaw Wed 07-Sep-16 22:04:07

Thanks placeinthesun.

dragonsarebest Wed 07-Sep-16 22:12:24

Lots of Converse in my local TK Maxx last weekend. Bought DP a pair of black leather ones for £25 (don't know if that's a particularly good price but he's happy!).

dragonsarebest Wed 07-Sep-16 22:14:24

OH, but for me Cons are too flat, Superga too wide, Vans the best of the three. Trainers better though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now