Hate my thin hair. I've put it up. It's not a bun.....

(21 Posts)
Dowser Mon 29-Aug-16 14:52:19

It's the size of Jaffa cake!

It not even thick enough to go round those bun fillers.

Anyone else feel the same.
Oh for long thick bouncy locks.
I'm wondering if when I eventually go grey will it thicken to twice its size...or can you get thin grey hair as well.

singleandfabulous Mon 29-Aug-16 16:18:32

Ha! This made me laugh sorry, as I have lots of hair but it's very fine so feel your pain.

When I used to do 'the bun' I'd tongue it first to give it movement and body and then backcombe it blush add sea-salt spray for texture and grip and then double up the bun (so one on top of the other. Then and only then did I manage to have a big enough bun.

Such a pain. the other alternative is of course hair pieces. You can get some really good ones now and place them strategically so that they don't show when the hair is up.

Pisssssedofff Mon 29-Aug-16 20:15:37

I stopped using silicon or solp hate shampoo and my hair has thickened up

Kazplus2 Mon 29-Aug-16 20:22:20

What shampoo do you use now?

Assam Mon 29-Aug-16 20:25:12

My hair is so crap I'm seriously considering a wig!

AnthonyPandy Mon 29-Aug-16 20:41:43

Pisssssedofff What do you use then?

Pisssssedofff Mon 29-Aug-16 20:46:11

m.lookfantastic.com/joico-k-pak-shampoo-300ml/10793091.html?_ga=1.35408105.918180523.1453762315
I'm using this at the moment, have used the body shop rainforest range too. Biggest difference I've noticed thiugh is by not straightening it or blow drying it, you have a few shit days and then you get used to it and my hair condition and thickness has improved 100%

SnakeWitch Mon 29-Aug-16 20:53:50

Thick hair isn't so great; it takes forever to do anything with, looks like a Christmas tree, makes you ridiculously hot in summer, hangs all in front of your face because there's too much of it...grass is always greener, eh?! Swap you grin

biscuitkumquat Mon 29-Aug-16 21:16:09

OP, I use one of these

It's basically a hair elastic covered in hair, so your hair just blends into it, without having to cover it like a bun sponge.

Bananajam Mon 29-Aug-16 21:23:20

My hair is the same, I can pull it up in to a bun but it basically makes an odd small knot rather than a bun! I've just ordered L'oreal sulphate free shampoo and conditioner in the hope it'll help my hair thicken up again and stop being quite so frizzy. I'll try anything currently. I'd love to be able to put it up in a bun, so easy! Does the hair elastic match in with your hair well? I bought one from eBay but it looked awful and obvious to me so I threw it away.

MrsDesperado Mon 29-Aug-16 21:26:27

Pisssssedofff that k pak shampoo you linked to contains both sulphites and silicone in the ingredient list??

Anyhow...hopeful bump for you OP. I have shit thin hair too - you have my sympathies.

Dowser Mon 29-Aug-16 21:51:01

I use faith in nature.
I take ionic selenium every day
Plus other vits and mins. I think it's got a bit thicker over the last 6 months but nowhere hear what it was.
I like it he idea of the hairy scrunching. I'll have to look for a highlighted one.

Dowser Mon 29-Aug-16 21:51:17

Hairy scrunchie

Dowser Mon 29-Aug-16 21:52:36

I use a lot angle teaser brush and am very gentle with it. I use a hairdrer on it but wouldn't call it a blow dry.

Dowser Mon 29-Aug-16 21:53:00

Tangle teaser

Pisssssedofff Mon 29-Aug-16 22:34:56

I'll try again hang on

biscuitkumquat Tue 30-Aug-16 11:37:46

Bananajam I have dyed grey hair, so I got a real hair one, and dyed it when I did my roots.

I think real hair is the way to do it.

I saw my hairdresser dying one last week for one of her clients!

MrsHam13 Tue 30-Aug-16 11:41:45

My daughters the same. I pleat her hair in two french braids whilst wet the night before and in the morning it's a lovely wave and looks much thicker.

Spudlet Tue 30-Aug-16 11:45:05

I have admittedly quite thick but very fine hair and my buns are always pathetic. So I ditched them and now my go to up do is a Gibson Tuck.

www.saralynnpaige.com/style/simple-gibson-tuck/

I am all fingers and thumbs at doing hair but this is genuinely easy and because your hair isn't pulled in tight to your head, it looks (IMO) thicker.

hownottofuckup Tue 30-Aug-16 11:47:28

What do you do when you tongue your hair?

Bananajam Tue 30-Aug-16 19:36:00

Thanks Biscuit - that's probably the best solution!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now