DIY eyebrows & eyelashes tint kit

(11 Posts)
L1MS Sun 28-Aug-16 13:01:56

Hi,
I am planning to start tinting my eyebrows & eyelashes at home.
I used to go to the salon, but I can't afford it anymore - I would appreciate any tips on how to and what product to use.

mammacaz Sun 28-Aug-16 13:07:18

They do a good kit in boots or u can buy it online, I've done my eyebrows a few times which worked well but just not as good as when they're done in the salon tho, I think it's the consistency u have get right :-/ never been brave enough to do the lashes tho so please do let us know how u get on! smile

ohidoliketobe Sun 28-Aug-16 13:11:53

I'mnaturally a light ash blonde (I. E. Mousey!) And my hair is dyed a caramel colour so have to pencil/powder in my brows or they dissappear in my face. I've started to use Eyelure dyebrow (medium brown) and rate it pretty highly. As long as I keep my brows tidied up I don't need to bother with pencil/ powder day to day any more, just a bit of wax if they're looking slightly unruly. Still pencil/ powder for a more made up look for nights out.

Used a few cheaper ones before eyelure and didn't think they were worth the money.

If you put it on for the recommended time (about 3 mins, can't remember off the top of my head) and the colour isn't intense enough you can reapply. I find it lasts 3 weeks before need redoing and a box claims 12 applications. I'm about half way through a box and have done 4 so far. I've ordered the dyelash in black from amazon so hoping I'm as pleased with that.

Takes about 10 mins in total. You've reminded me I need to redo mine so thank you!

itsbetterthanabox Mon 29-Aug-16 02:51:52

Don't tint your lashes yourself.
Even a tiny bit in the eye can cause abrasions. You can't see what you are doing. It's not safe.

doctorboo Mon 29-Aug-16 08:55:50

I had some brow and lash dye (ordered off eBay) arrive in the post on Saturday. Finally did my lashes this morning with black dye and was pleased with the result.
I haven't done my brows yet, just plucked them in preparation - my boys wouldn't leave me alone - but I'll be using brown on them.

L1MS Mon 29-Aug-16 17:58:20

I am concerned about how to die eyelashes; I will definitely give my eyebrows a go.
Doctorboo, please let me know how you are getting on and if you
would recommend the product you bought.
Thanks.

ChocolateIsNotSleep Mon 29-Aug-16 21:17:16

Hi I use refectocil (sp?), it's the one most professionals use but you can get it on Amazon. I'm very blonde and mix the light brown with a touch of graphite which gives just the right colour. I've also dyed my lashes for years, both salon and at home and never had any problems. I use an old mascara brush to apply it (keeping my eyes open) and remove very carefully with wet pads and cotton buds. I don't get any more in my eyes (probably less) than in the salon.

JaceLancs Mon 29-Aug-16 21:20:40

I use eyelure from boots for lashes - but DD and I do each other
Neither of us need to do brows - as v dark haired

villainousbroodmare Tue 30-Aug-16 00:25:19

Both Eyelure and Colorsport have changed their formulas recently to a horrible two-step PITA thing. Very awkward to apply and very easy to overdo. If you look at the box and it says "No mixing!" then it's the new lousy formula. I ordered a few boxes of the old version from Amazon. When I run out I'll be using Refectocil as I hear good things about it.
It's an easy thing to do and I never bother with the Vaseline or skin masking bollocks, just apply carefully and rinse v thoroughly with big puffs of cotton wool and cool water.
Just remember that eyebrows seem to take colour much faster than eyelashes, so a minute is plenty to leave the stuff on. You can always repeat.

doctorboo Thu 01-Sep-16 08:46:51

L1MS I'm pleased with the results of my lashes and brows. I think they look smarter, if that makes sense?
I used a cotton bud to apply the dye on both areas which worked well.
I did top and bottom lashes as if I were applying mascara and with my eyebrows I used the c.bud and just sort of swept it over so all the hair was covered.
I'll definitely do it again in a few weeks, it wasn't as scary as I thought it'd be.

doctorboo Thu 01-Sep-16 08:50:59

I forgot to say I've used henna tint kits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now