I'm in Japan, what are my absolute beauty must haves?

(9 Posts)
LazySusan11 Sat 27-Aug-16 04:08:47

I've tried the DHC cleansing oil, didn't like it..on the hunt for fairy drops mascara.

Am trawling through the vast thread of Asian beauty, is there anything off the top of your head you think I 'must' have?

I love skincare have quite sensitive skin though I am a big acid toning fan. Almost 40 so always on the look out for new introductions.

LazySusan11 Sat 27-Aug-16 13:29:04

Anyone? grin

TanteRose Sat 27-Aug-16 13:32:30

I'm in Japan but am not your girl to ask about products (very basic skincare for me). Savvy Tokyo often have beauty recommendations

savvytokyo.com/5-japanese-beauty-products-try-august/

TanteRose Sat 27-Aug-16 13:33:58

July edition

savvytokyo.com/5-japanese-beauty-products-try-july/

botemp Sat 27-Aug-16 13:59:20

I have a bunch of Japanese skincare right now (and some on a wishlist). I've omitted the stuff that's hard to get in local stores. My skin type is sensitive-dehydrated, normal to dry in winter can get slightly combo in summer. I avoid mineral oil, fragrance, alcohol, parabens (for daily products), and silicones as much as possible.

-Muji Sensitive Cleansing oil - much prefer this to the DHC (avoid the mild version)

-Muji Sensitive Skin Toner High Moisture - lovely hydrating toner

-Muji Bath Salts are great too, I like the lemon grass.

-DHC Mascara - indestructible tubing mascara, the Isehan Kiss Me Heroine ones are also supposed to be v. good

-DHC Lip balm

-Gekka All in One Sleeping pack

-Cinderella Time Sleeping Pack Gel (don't know how easy this will be to find in stores)

-Kohaku-Hada Amber Moisture Lotion - This is an alternative to the Hada -Labo Gokujyun HA lotion that everyone loves but I personally prefer this one. The amber is supposedly anti-ageing.

-Minon Amino Moist masks (though a lot from this line looks interesting for sensitive aging skin)

-Lululun Prestige Red masks

-Shiseido, Koh Gen Do, or Muji cotton squares

-Melano CC spot treatment - Vit C that I use all over the face, v. affordable and effective for my purposes.

-Stock up on sunscreen it is so much more pleasant to wear Japanese SPF, my favourite is Kose Sekkisei Sun Protection Essence Milk but it's pricier than everyone's alcohol laden favourite Biore Essence. Also like the Canmake Mermaid UV Gel and the Mommy! UV Mild Gel.

-More high end, I'm very impressed with the IPSA time reset aqua which is sort of a hydrating toner/firs essence.

-If you're into makeup, definitely look into Suqqu. Brushes from them and Chikuhodo are particularly fab but £££. Brow pencil from Shu Uemura is also great (unless you're blonde).

-Tsubaki(Camelia flower) oil for hair

I'm probably forgetting some... anyhow the Cosme Japan rankings are a great guide for exploring what's highly regarded (switch on autotranslate) and Ratzilla's blog is also a great resource. If you find an a friendly English speaking person in a shop just ask them what the best things are right now, they're very into #1 products and helpful.

botemp Sat 27-Aug-16 14:00:54

Knew I'd forget a fave, the DHC olive oil infused cotton buds are brilliant to touch up eye makeup and to keep in your bag for little emergencies.

LazySusan11 Sat 27-Aug-16 15:27:04

Thank you so much! flowers

Mcmcmcmc Sat 27-Aug-16 15:33:39

Majolica majorca or Fasio mascaras
Kracie oil cleanser (super cheap)
Shiseido drugstore lines
Anything with tsubaki (camellia) oil for hair
Sunscreens - most brands are good but I like Japanese Nivea (they have an SPF 50 physical sunscreen that is amazing) and Biore - all fairly cheap and come in small bottles, so you can try lots and they buy your favourites again on eBay
Canmake cream blushes (I use the "clear" shades as lipstick, they have a great sheer matte texture)
sheet masks
Hada Labo lotion and serums

Mcmcmcmc Sat 27-Aug-16 15:35:48

Skip the sheet masks that come in a big plastic container... those are rubbish. The individually packed sheet masks that are sold on their own or on small packs or boxes are best. I like Hada Labo's as they don't contain alcohol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now