Braiding own hair

(15 Posts)
CoolToned Sat 27-Aug-16 00:37:38

Is it easy?

Tips?

CaptainWarbeck Sat 27-Aug-16 11:58:56

No.

Practice grin And youtube videos will give you an idea of how to braid different styles.

CoolToned Sat 27-Aug-16 12:02:30

I recently had my hair braided (two french braids) and I really liked it!

Rachcakes Sat 27-Aug-16 12:03:39

What kind of braiding/hair?

I can do my own easily but I've been doing it since high school. I don't remember ever struggling. I find other people's harder because I've had less practice.

Rachcakes Sat 27-Aug-16 12:05:44

Oh yeah, I can do them. French braids, Dutch braids in any direction. My quick up do when I CBA washing my hair is a Dutch braid across the back into a low side messy bun. Takes less than 5 minutes.

CoolToned Sat 27-Aug-16 12:09:28

I want to learn different kinds of braids. But starting with hair parted in the middle and each side braided. Is that dutch braid?

Also, there is no age limit to braids right?

Dutch is inverted french. So when you are french braiding you pass the outside strands over the middle. When you Dutch braid they go underneath.

Also look at fishtail, waterfall and lace braids

coppergrey Sat 27-Aug-16 16:32:39

I could do fishtail braiding quite easily when I had long hair. This morning I attempted my first French braids (hair parted down the middle, braided on each side) with just above shoulder length hair and it looks pretty good! Bit messy but practice makes perfect.

macnab Sat 27-Aug-16 18:26:56

I'm interested to know if there's an age limit for this! Going abroad and would be very handy for something a bit different in the heat but don't want to look odd (am 42)

CoolToned Sat 27-Aug-16 21:36:31

macnab

Me too! I think the braids suit me, and I would really want to rock that on Summer (I'm in bloody hot Oz!).

CoolToned Sat 27-Aug-16 21:37:58

StatisticallyChallenged - which one is more stable?

CoolToned Sat 27-Aug-16 21:38:12

Do the hair braider gadgets work?

OSETmum Sat 27-Aug-16 21:47:40

I find it really easy, it's just practise I guess. I don't think there's an age limit. As a pp said above, my go to quick and easy look is a side Dutch plait ending in a side messy bun on the opposite side of my head if that makes sense?

I find that dutch stay in a little better on me, as passing the hair under rather than over seems to trap the layers better, and I also get a nicer wave from dutch than french, but there's not much in it. Fishtail braids are lovely and a bit different, and still look good when they get a bit messy.

try googling missysue, a blogger who does loads of braided styles. We renewed our vows recently and I wore my hair partially french braided - backcombed the front so it had volume, side part and did a french braid which was loose and quite volumised down my hairline to my ear then finished braiding that section. Curled the rest of my hair, swept it over my shoulder then pinned the braid across my head so it looked like the braid was holding my hair over my shoulder, then added a lovely fresh flower vine. You can do lots with braids!

Rachcakes Sun 28-Aug-16 11:26:39

I'm 40 and definitely not too old for the braid/bun do. I only tend to wear two braids for the gym, but I might in India when I go later this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now