Please help me make this dress less grumpy.....

(65 Posts)
PersisFord Wed 24-Aug-16 16:18:08

This is it. It fits nicely, it's a lovely colour and it was a bargain. But now I come to think about actually wearing it for a wedding, I have no ideas what to wear with it that won't look tedious and frumpy. It is crying out for nude courts, a pashmina and a fascinator - is there any way of escaping this??

I'm a size 12, with shoulder length red hair. I am awful at wearing heels but I think I will have to. I need a jacket maybe? Also some jewellery? A bag?

Suggestions for any of these would be very very very welcome. Also any reassurance that I haven't made a horrible horrible mistake and I can look young and pretty in it.....

I tried on a similar one in reiss but it was £££. So I got this one. But I don't like it as much at all and I'm sad 😢😢😢

CeolNaMara Wed 24-Aug-16 16:38:36

I don't think you have to wear heels unless you want to. It would look great with silver flats. This sort of thing, just as an example. Although I think plain metallic (rather than glitter) will work better.

Bet that colour looks fantastic with your hair.

OuchLegoHurts Wed 24-Aug-16 16:39:56

Whatever you do DON'T wear a fascinator or a <boak> pashmina!!

I think it would be really nice with your hair piled up into a high quiffy messy Beehive (assuming you have longish hair though?) Then I would wear statement shoes to 'edge' it up a bit. A bright colour like orange...matching clutch...maybe a chunky short necklace?

BabyGanoush Wed 24-Aug-16 16:42:57

it's a good cut, and shaped nicely, it would suit someone with an hour glass or pear shape.

I am always on the lookout for dresses cut like this! I'd wear it with ankle boots or those cut out ankle boot-shoes, or something a bit modern to avoid the "sweet lady" look wink

And a leather jacket rather than a pashmina grin, though maybe not for a wedding ...hmmmm

Ratley Wed 24-Aug-16 16:43:49

I think that is lovely and not frumpy at all. I would wear it with high heeled strappy sandals in either nude or a matching blue.
I don't wear jewellery or carry a bag so that would be it for me.

OuchLegoHurts Wed 24-Aug-16 16:47:20

I know it's a different style of dress but you can see the funky colour scheme

LadyPenelope68 Wed 24-Aug-16 16:49:16

It's a gorgeous dress and not frumpy at all.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 24-Aug-16 16:51:20

What makes you think your dress is grumpy ? Looks quite cheerful to me grin.

You don't need a fascinator, they're a bit naff. Just some great heels, make up and your red hair to set it off. A short chunky necklace that sits above the neckline in silver? I love the colour.

cissyfuss Wed 24-Aug-16 16:58:12

Have a look at Ruby Shoo

http://www.rubyshoo.com/products/Summer_16?page=1

You could get some groovy heels with co ordinating bag... I'd go with a vibrant contrasting colour like red, orange or plum depending on the redness of your hair. A statementish necklace... But def no fascinator or pashmina!

calzone Wed 24-Aug-16 17:03:25

These would look great

Gruach Wed 24-Aug-16 17:07:50

I was going to say the same as BabyGanoush - a black leather jacket, very soft and smooth, cut like a narrow blazer, and fierce ankle boots. With perhaps a furry bag in the same colour as your hair.

AndDontCallMeShirley Wed 24-Aug-16 17:23:29

A furry bag confused.

A leather jacket to a wedding - no.

Agree with pp on the orange colour scheme. Maybe red,.... nude also very classy.

It's fine! For goodness sake, don't wear a pashmina or pantomime dame shoes. Sorry but those pink shoes posted below are awful,

How posh is the wedding, and what is the weather likely to be like?

A leather jacket would look good, but I don't think it's right for a wedding.

This is rather beautiful or this with silver flats as suggested below maybe?

Joinourclub Wed 24-Aug-16 17:31:34

I like bright blue and bright green together m.zalando.co.uk/anna-field-high-heels-dark-green-an611ba1s-m11.html

Or just a pale grey or white cropped cardigan, with hot pink shoes?

PopadomPointer Wed 24-Aug-16 17:40:08

Skinny belt.

PersisFord Wed 24-Aug-16 17:46:02

Oooooh loads of lovely ideas!! I tried on these orange shoes but they are a bit much I think. I love the orange or hot pink or silver idea though.

I think a nice leather jacket would be beyond me at the moment but could prob manage a cardigan.

Tell me about matchy matchy. If I go for orange shoes do I get an orange belt and handbag (belt is inspired BTW, would really cheer it up)? Or silver shoes and a hot pink bag?

I have never owned or worn a pashmina or a fascinator and am relieved not to have to start now!!!

PMSL also at grumpy dress!!!!

Gruach Wed 24-Aug-16 17:51:40

Just for you Shirley ...

I would want everyone in leather and fake fur, tweed and velvet at my wedding.grin

PersisFord Wed 24-Aug-16 17:56:41

😱😱😱 at that bag!!!!!

lasttimeround Wed 24-Aug-16 18:09:54

Go clashing then hot pink bright orange or red

Captainkanga Wed 24-Aug-16 18:12:45

I agree with the pp on orange, a friend wore the same coloured dress as yours to our wedding with orange and she looked really really lovely.

Hope you have a great time! smile

Alisandro Wed 24-Aug-16 18:24:42

Oh no please no belt! Dress is so beautiful don't "cut" a body with a belt

Try to find shrug smth like on pic.
And shous like this www.zalando.co.uk/dorothy-perkins-destiny-classic-heels-dp511b04c-j11.html

lasttimeround Wed 24-Aug-16 18:47:33

Or that shrug ^ and silver flats?

Fingermoose Wed 24-Aug-16 19:08:51

Gruach that bag looks like an angry Muppet grin Its mood would go well with a grumpy dress though...

PersisFord Wed 24-Aug-16 19:12:14

I think it would be slightly less furious with some nice accessories!!! Thanks a lot everyone, especially for the reassurance!!! 😘

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now