'Grown up' make up/skincare recommendations please?

(10 Posts)
SouthernComforter Wed 24-Aug-16 15:00:29

I've got a 9mo and a 3yo and I'm tired, heavier than before, currently living in flip flops and a ponytail and often covered in saliva or snot or other substances that go hand in hand with young children.

Before I go back to work can anyone recommend a couple of decent beauty products/make up brands that make you feel beautiful? I'm currently using Cetaphil cleanser, an Elizabeth Arden spf30 lotion that I can't afford to replace and Neal's Yard frankincense cream as a night cream. I've got a Boots foundation and pressed powder and a Maybelline mascara - but I'd like to feel like I've moved on in the 20 years I've been wearing make up!

Are glycolic things any good? Is Bare Minerals any good? Fire away! X

LawrenceSMarlow Wed 24-Aug-16 15:06:27

I've started using Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish (I told the woman at the counter that a friend recommended it because I was embarrassed to say I read about it on mn 🙄) and my skin is SO soft. Possibly due to scrubbing it with a cloth twice a day rather than any truly magical qualities of the cream, but whatever, I am a convert. My skin is sensitive and fairly dry and it hasn't protested at all.

chough Wed 24-Aug-16 15:14:51

I came on to say Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish.
Off topic, Lawrence, but I often buy things because " a friend" (MN)" has recommended it".
Today, it was Zoflora disinfectant.

chough Wed 24-Aug-16 15:15:44

OP, the Zoflora is for my sink ( not face cleansing).

NattyGolfJerkin Wed 24-Aug-16 15:21:18

The Nip&Fab Glycolic Fix Extreme pads are ace for chemical exfoliation (sounds scary, isn't). Just leaves skin soft, clear and allows moisturiser /serum etc to sink in beautifully. You MUST use SPF the next day though (pads at night after cleansing) as it exposes fresh new skin cells and can cause hyperpigmentation if you don't. You don't want to cause sun damage on your lovely new skin.

LawrenceSMarlow Wed 24-Aug-16 15:22:29

chough 😁 Glad it's not just me.

tobleroneaddict Wed 24-Aug-16 15:22:53

I strongly recommend No7 protect and perfect serum. I actually think it's better than Advanced Night Repair, which is over double the price!

What's your skin type?

Cellardoor23 Wed 24-Aug-16 16:41:11

I've been using Liz Earle cleanse and polish too. I've only been using it for a couple of weeks but I have noticed a difference in my complexion. It's suitable for all skin types. My skin still gets quite oily though around the T- zone so I'm not sure if it's because I haven't been using it long enough?

I really like benefit high beam atm as well. I just dab a bit on my cheeks and it gives me a fresh look. I have a 3 month old so I don't really have the luxury of spending loads of time doing my makeup but a little bit of that and bare minerals stroke of light under the eyes and I'm ready to go.

Cellardoor23 Wed 24-Aug-16 17:00:14

Meant to say I find BB cream good as well

SouthernComforter Wed 24-Aug-16 18:40:26

Thanks * scurries off to buy glycolic pads and BM under eye stuff *

I already have the Liz Earle cleanser (was a present that I didn't get around to using) so I can start with that tonight!

toblerone - good old combination skin I think. Shiny to t-zone but can be dry elsewhere. As a freckly person I have always been good with moisturiser/sunscreen though so relatively unwrinkled...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now