how can i get the right lipstick shade for me?

(8 Posts)
braceybracegirl Tue 23-Aug-16 07:46:04

i have pale skin and really dark hair. I also have quite thick lips so lipstick really stands out on me but i like to wear it, especially as I have braces. I bought one recently that is too pinky and i need something with a bit more red/orange in it but not too bright. Any suggestions?

outofdepth Tue 23-Aug-16 08:13:29

I went to boots who do a colour matching service. They tell you your skin tone then give you a card with a range of lipstick colours. I found it really good as I get overwhelmed with the huge choice and the number of make up counters.

I came away with three lipsticks - and use a different one depending on the occasion

UnderseaPineapple Tue 23-Aug-16 08:22:06

It depends on what you mean. Do you mean a red or a nude or a coral?

For a nice orange red - MAC Chili. www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/13854/310/Products/Makeup/Lips/Lipstick/Lipstick#/shade/Chili

Then something more muted - Fresh Moroccan www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/13854/310/Products/Makeup/Lips/Lipstick/Lipstick#/shade/Fresh_Moroccan

And more neutral but still has an orangey base - Touch. www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/13854/310/Products/Makeup/Lips/Lipstick/Lipstick#/shade/Touch

Alternatively, Illamasqua Cherub a warm coral - www.illamasqua.com/shop/lips/satin-lipstick-cherub/

And Illamasqua Liable - a strong yet not too bright orange red. www.illamasqua.com/shop/lips/lipstick-in-liable/

And Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Peach Club. I can't link to the exact shade, sadly.

www.boots.com/en/Bourjois-Rouge-Edition-velvet_1459266//?cm_mmc=bourjois-_-beauty-_-bourjois_website-_-bourjois_rouge_edition_velvet_lipstick

TheLegendOfBeans Tue 23-Aug-16 08:23:53

Second shout out for Boots. Don't buy anything until you've had a (free) consultation from the No.7 people x

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 23-Aug-16 08:25:15

When you try lipsticks on test them on your pad of your finger- if the color looks good against your skin then it will suit your lips.

braceybracegirl Tue 23-Aug-16 08:52:46

great thank you!

mrssmiling Tue 23-Aug-16 08:53:44

Another vote for No7 - it's a great service! Also useful for choosing foundation to suit you.

CoolToned Tue 23-Aug-16 09:08:49

We need to see your face to be able to suggest. It depends on your skintone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now