M and Co

(23 Posts)
chough Sun 21-Aug-16 19:36:33

There isn't an M and Co near me, but I'm going on holiday soon, to a town which has a branch.
I've walked past it before, but never been in for a look around.
Anyone bought anything nice there recently, or is it a bit of a dated shop?

janethegirl2 Sun 21-Aug-16 19:39:35

Depends on your age, my DM loves it but she's over 75.

chough Sun 21-Aug-16 19:47:57

Might just walk on by ,*jane*!

apatheticfallacy Sun 21-Aug-16 19:53:43

I used to live around the corner from one in a small town with no other clothes shops. I can't count the number of times I walked in hoping to find something and decided to drive 30 mins to the next town instead.

In 2 years the only thing I ever bought were some PJs for DH. They had reindeer on. I'm fairly sure it was he only nice thing they stocked in those two years

janethegirl2 Sun 21-Aug-16 20:15:35

Tbf chough the tshirts are ok but I don't rate the rest. If you're near one, have a look and make your own mind up. They do sometimes have okish things in.

elephantoverthehill Sun 21-Aug-16 20:26:12

I bought a nice teeshirt, one with arms that come down to my elbow so they conceal the bingo wings, but they only had it one colour. I have also bought some tops for work. DD like the tweenagers fashion stuff. However in my local town it's either M&Co, Peacocks or New Look. So pretty dire really.

ChippyDucks Sun 21-Aug-16 20:28:42

I bought some nice cotton polo necks last winter from there, some of their basic stuff is good. Don't really rate their fashion items though

ohidoliketobe Sun 21-Aug-16 20:31:02

Kids clothes are good. I bought some smart work tops from there once but they were a bit polyester-y and made me all sweaty and static. . .

redheadbarmaid Sun 21-Aug-16 20:32:44

Agree not high fashion but nice enough. Love their kids/baby clothes though, always been great quality and their sales are brill

MargotLovedTom Sun 21-Aug-16 20:32:57

Did M&Co used to be McKays? It's about the same as Bon Marche then?

CallarMorvern Sun 21-Aug-16 20:37:07

MacKays, yes. I think it's pricey for not great polyester stuff . I prefer Peacocks for that kind of thing, far less money, no worse quality.

LifeIsGoodish Sun 21-Aug-16 20:37:32

I would put them a bit upmarket from Peacocks, New Look and Bon Marche. Unspectacular.

Also very variable. Some seasons dire, some perfectly nice.

I find them a bit too polyestery, and often skimpy on upper arms.

thiswayplease Sun 21-Aug-16 20:52:13

The kids stuff is good and I did get an amazing Christmas party dress online a few years ago which I bring out every year and get plenty of comments on. It's timeless and classic though.

They do some other branded clothing that can be hit or miss. I did get a winter coat from one of the labels they stocked. Only lasted 2 years.

MrsMushrooms Sun 21-Aug-16 20:57:08

I love it! I don't think it's dated, I buy loads from there in the sale (or not in the sale occasionally... If I'm feeling jammy!) and I'm 25 so not exactly an OAP.

Fairylea Sun 21-Aug-16 20:59:46

It's the only clothes shop in our fairly rural village. The nearest other shops are 26 miles away...! I sometimes buy the t shirts if I desperately need one but to be honest for a similar quality and price I'd rather order online from next and have something a little bit trendier. Or even new look if I'm feeling really trendy. (I am late 30s, I know I sound about 70). grin

spankhurst Sun 21-Aug-16 22:18:34

I got a v nice tribal print maxi a couple of years ago. I think if you look through all the stuff there are often good bits.

daftbesom Sun 21-Aug-16 23:07:28

Definitely worth a look. I have basic black trousers from there, also jeggings and accessories.

Still think wistfully of a lovely bodycon "shutter" dress they had a few years ago that I have regretted not buying ever since.

swampytiggaa Sun 21-Aug-16 23:10:55

I have the choice of m&co and new look locally. I buy from new look. I am 47 blush

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 21-Aug-16 23:14:28

def worth a look, but without any expectations! They do have the odd good piece

I have a couple of dresses that always get remarked upon, but most of it is very blah.

I'd say the children's range is good though, BUT my baby is now 18 so I could well be out of touch by now!

SeasonalVag Mon 22-Aug-16 07:36:03

Kids stuff is brilliant, I wascoverjoyed when I found two near me in my new town!

I've bought a couple of nice bits from there

chough Mon 22-Aug-16 11:58:58

Thanks for replies.
I will go in and have a look round.

nonnyno Mon 22-Aug-16 11:59:59

This is the only place that I have ever found jeans that fit me. The other stuff is pretty dreary and on the pricy side.

leccybill Mon 22-Aug-16 12:17:39

Women's clothes absolutely awful but I really rate the kids clothes.
Bought absolutely loads for 6yo DD in there, good quality denim pinafores, holiday dresses, basics, cute tshirts. The sales are great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now