I want to wear more dresses!

(21 Posts)
ThankGodItsThursday Sat 20-Aug-16 18:58:36

Title says it all. I want to wear more dresses.
I've lost over a stone and I'm now a slim size 10. (Heartbreak diet - not recommended).
I'm normally apple shaped so no bum or hips to speak of and trousers hang off me at the moment.
I think dresses might be the way to go. Plus no having to think about what top shall I put with which trousers etc.
So my question is - What dresses do you wear as 'day dresses'? Where do you get them from and what footwear do you put with them? Pictures or links would be great.
Thanks

helenlove Sat 20-Aug-16 19:02:19

Am following as same size and also want to start wearing dresses in the day

GinandJag Sat 20-Aug-16 19:02:38

I'm not size 10 sad. I wear dresses as the norm. I tend to wear empire line from Boden (seconds from eBay) or TKMaxx.

I wear pumps for footwear - gold or black patent.

hollinhurst84 Sat 20-Aug-16 19:14:19

I wear loads! Pics

hollieberrie Sat 20-Aug-16 19:44:59

I wear quite a lot of dresses - mainly get them on Ebay or from H&M / Gap / Zara. I like plain neutral type colours - navy, charcoal, dark green, black.
In summer i wear them with white converse or sandals (tan leather flip flop type ones). In autumn winter with black / dark grey tights and ankle boots or Converse (my preferred look as i love being casual.
I usually accessorize them with a long necklace or a scarf (in winter).
I aim for this Hush sort of look (but i dont buy Hush dresses as they are far too long for me - im only 5ft1)

WhooooAmI24601 Sat 20-Aug-16 19:48:22

I work in a school and love Oasis, New Look and Gap for day dresses. In winter I wear them with chunky tights, boots and cardigans, in summer bare legs and ballet flats or sandals. Always cinched in at the waist with a belt; La Redoute do lovely, quirky belts quite cheaply. If they're plain I jazz them up with chunky necklaces.

Til I started at school I never wore dresses unless going to weddings. Now you'll rarely find me in much else.

JontyDoggle37 Sat 20-Aug-16 19:51:28

Phase Eight - great cut, materials and overall quality

Purplehonesty Sat 20-Aug-16 19:58:36

I wear dresses from primark and new look. I wear them with leggings and cardigans in the winter and on their own in the summer.
They tend to have short sleeves; fitted in at the waist and then flare out again.
Really comfy and wash and dry overnight!

Dowser Sat 20-Aug-16 22:52:05

I wear a dress every day. Just hate trousers.

I get them from Joe brown, quiz, got quite a few from Doroty Perkins last year...nothing this year. Oh yes I got a couple from Isabel , select sometimes has the odd gem
Sometimes sainsbury throws up the odd gem also

I need to lose some weight again. I'm creeping towards a 16 again.

I'm 64 and quite girly.

Dowser Sat 20-Aug-16 22:55:37

I wear my winter ones with leggings and boots. It takes all the hassle out of putting together what goes with what.

I have quite a few dresses that have black in them. So black boots or shoes or sandals, black cardi or shrug , black down jacket, linen jacket, black wool jacket a contrasting scarf...almost like a uniform.

( I do have other colours as well)

user1468841624 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:58:35

I have about 8 french connection tea dresses in different colours. Fine on their own in summer and then wear with tights and a long sleeved black top in winter.

I'm appley and the fit is really flattering. I'm a 10/12 and size down to the 8, though, as I like them fitted.

www.asos.com/French-Connection/French-Connection-Hot-House-Tea-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5813048&affid=14173&channelref=product+search&mk=abc¤cyid=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_9-9BRCqpZeZhLeOg68BEiQAOviWAjdRBHIZaAEw_SPGzIbJ0AAq7DRKxJWZ2qGSq0ipIpsaAlkM8P8HAQ

user1468841624 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:59:25

Sorry, better link

ThankGodItsThursday Sun 21-Aug-16 08:44:17

I like the look of the Hush dress and the French Connection tea dress. I've never shopped in either of those shops before - what's the quality and sizing like?
I'm struggling at the moment to come to terms with the weight loss and still think of myself as bigger than I am so automatically I keep discounting certain styles as something that wouldn't suit me. I even ordered a pair of M&S jeggings in a 12 just because that was the size I was.
I used to wear dresses quite a bit and then gradually over the years have just got used to throwing on a pair of jeans and a top. Now I feel a bit self conscious in a dress like I look like I'm trying too hard or I'm off to a wedding!

overworkedundersexed Sun 21-Aug-16 08:52:12

I wear COS dresses religiously. I have about 7 at a time on rotation for work, but I wear them at the weekends too. I wear them with flats, heels or trainers such as converse/superga.
Honestly, have a look, they are so stylish and easy to wear! We don't have one where I live so I go to Westfield in London twice a year in the sales to stock up!
I also have a lot of h and m dresses and a few from gap. M and s have lovely ones too, I saw one in per una yesterday which was a khaki and black stripe, knitted, very cool and flattering. Good luck OP!

NeonPinkNails Sun 21-Aug-16 09:04:27

I like the idea of more dresses too although I have horrible legs so not sure it's a great idea. I've bought a couple of nice ones recently from H&M, very cheap so not sure yet about the quality but maybe a good idea for just trying out a look?

LuckySantangelo1 Sun 21-Aug-16 09:08:14

Go and try lots of different styles on to get a feel for what suits you. So for instance I'm a hourglass size 10, average height & I look best in nothing below the knee, v neck or high neck dresses. I need something tailored round the waist, or a wrap dress, otherwise I just look chunky. Maybe go to a shop which does personal shopping? John Lewis?

LuckySantangelo1 Sun 21-Aug-16 09:11:00

I used to love French connection but sadly their quality has gone downhill in recent years while their prices have stayed high. Have you looked at Warehouse?

outofdepth Sun 21-Aug-16 21:52:05

Lucky - I'm an hourglass too, where do you shop?

<loved Lucky in the books>

littleredpear Sun 21-Aug-16 21:56:33

Hobbs and whistles, can be very expensive and I wait for the sales.

However busted that this morning by ordering

this and this

Full price but fuck it.

KellySmith Tue 23-Aug-16 09:27:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LuckySantangelo1 Tue 23-Aug-16 14:47:55

Unhelpfully I shop all over! I have lots of things from French connection but as I said I think they have gone downhill. Recently I've found some nice things in oasis and topshop. I also like warehouse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now