help I stupidly put my leather jacket in the washing machine

(14 Posts)
Mrsderekshepard Fri 19-Aug-16 09:16:43

I had left it in the boot of the car and something of the kids had spilt on it which resulted in it growing furry green stuff. In a hast I stupidly put it in the machine and now it's ruined. Is there an magic cure anyone can give me pls?

timelytess Fri 19-Aug-16 09:18:22

Do you believe in the efficacy of prayer?

BanjoStarz Fri 19-Aug-16 09:39:34

How bad is it?

If the leathers cracked then I'm pretty sure you're stuffed sad

If it just feels nasty - try a good leather balm? I've used Effax Leather Balsam on the horses saddles when we had a damp problem in the tack room and they went mouldy...I know it's for saddles but if it's wrecked anyway it's possibly worth a try?

A1Sharon Fri 19-Aug-16 09:41:38

Holy crap!
Wha???
The emoticon doesn't exist for the face I just pulled OP, sorry,grin.

The only magic cure I know of, would be the ability to go back in time, á la Marty McFly.

Motherwithflaws Fri 19-Aug-16 09:43:24

I've washed a leather jacket in the machine, it looked and felt grim when it came out but softened up nicely after a few days when it had properly dried

Floisme Fri 19-Aug-16 10:40:32

My husband machine washed a leather jacket too. (It was second hand and proper cleaning would have cost way more than he'd paid for it.) Like Mother said, it didn't look promising at first and it took over a week to dry but in the end it was fine. Fingers crossed for you.

ontherightpath Fri 19-Aug-16 10:43:00

I've washed leather bags in the washing machine several times with good results. Wash at 20 (not cold) with small amount of detergent for silk & wool - the pink one from waitrose is excellent. Put the item in a wash net and use the most gentle/shortest wash there is. Don't spin, drip dry in warm room / outside but not in direct sunlight or near a radiator.

If the leather is cracked, there's no way (I know) of restoring it. If its not soft or still not clean, just try washing it again.

CoolToned Fri 19-Aug-16 18:16:56

I've washed leather jacket in the washing machine. It came out fine. I put Dr Martens balsam on it afterwards when it was dry.

shakerkitchenunits Fri 19-Aug-16 19:07:51

i machine washed leather pumps and they're fine. stiff for first day but now softened up

coffeemaker5 Fri 19-Aug-16 19:27:14

I washed a very expensive leather handbag (after big spillage) in the washing machine.

came out hard and ruined. google suggested to rub virgin coconut oil into it. I did it and it really did the trick. initially, the coconutty parts looked dark and oily but after a day it dried and it was fine.

if the jacket is ruined it may worth a try as you have nothing to lose.

Mrsderekshepard Fri 19-Aug-16 20:56:43

It's quite stiff but it's the soft leather. It's currently hanging on the back of the computer chair in hope a miracle will happenconfused will give it a few more days then try some leather cream. I can't make it any worse!

Floisme Fri 19-Aug-16 20:59:50

If it's stiff but not cracked then that might be hopeful.

Heidi42 Fri 19-Aug-16 21:09:21

I bet it will be alright once it's dried out I mean think of it like this it must have been weatherproof when it was on the poor cow

imjessie Sat 20-Aug-16 14:04:04

Go to a tack shop ( horse ) and get some thick saddle soap . Clear ideally , and work it in with your fingers .. Don't allow it to sit still you need to be working the skin otherwise it will set rigid .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now