If you pull out your grey hairs, do they grow back more?

(7 Posts)
mumhum Thu 18-Aug-16 13:39:51

I have naturally curly, mid-brown hair. I have some grey hairs around the hair line of my forehead. Not unexpected at my age (41) and I feel fine about a few. However, some are really white and wiry/tough. As I have curly hair, when I tie my hair back these wiry ones can stick out at odd angles. I seem to recall hearing somewhere that if you pull out grey hairs, more will grow back or they will grow back stronger. Is this true? These wiry white hairs are also very resistant to my attempts at home hair dye too.

Fuzzypeggy Thu 18-Aug-16 13:41:08

Don't put them out! All they will happen is that they are replaced with another white hair but this time shorter and will stick out as they are growing

Liiinoo Thu 18-Aug-16 13:47:36

If that was true there would be no bald old men!

botemp Thu 18-Aug-16 13:52:04

As far as I'm aware it's a myth that more hairs grow back grey as removing one shouldn't affect the surrounding hair follicles.

However, it's rather pointless as another grey hair will just grow back in its place and if you keep on plucking you risk damaging the hair follicle permanently and have significantly less hair.

Find a better dye or seek a professional, I'm afraid.

TheNaze73 Thu 18-Aug-16 13:52:10

I've been going grey since I was 17& im now in my mid 40's. Don't do it, as the wee shites grow back like wire wool!

Destinysdaughter Thu 18-Aug-16 13:52:30

No it's not true! Maybe go to hairdresser to get hair properly dyed as the stuff you use at home won't cut it. My hair is v grey now and the texture is different. Has meant I had a good excuse to go blonde now from being a lifelong brunette!

Every cloud eh...? 😀

mumhum Thu 18-Aug-16 13:57:48

Thanks all, yes I think a professional dye is the way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now