Professional dry clean only

(6 Posts)
senua Tue 16-Aug-16 10:41:20

I bought a jacket yesterday with care instructions that say 'professional dry clean'. I bought in a charity shop for less than £4 so I'm prepared to risk washing it instead. It's an OK brand (Alex & Co) and made of 52% cotton / 23% polyester / 18% acrylic / 7% polyamide. The lining is acetate. The jacket has quite a soft handle so need to worry about losing the structure. Here it is on ebay (it's more fitted than that photo suggests).

Do you think washing it - carefully, by hand - will be OK? What's the worst that could happen?

CoolToned Tue 16-Aug-16 10:44:10

I think the worst is it will shrink. But since it's just 4gbp, I also will risk it. Use cold water and don't hang to dry.

JamieLannistersFuckButler Tue 16-Aug-16 12:15:50

I agree with CoolToned - exactly what I'd do.

banivani Tue 16-Aug-16 13:06:02

I agree, as a former employee at a dry-cleaner's. Acetate can be difficult but for 4 pounds I'd do it. Shrinking is the worst outcome - the jacket and the lining will shrink up differently maybe, so the lining hangs out for example.

senua Wed 17-Aug-16 20:55:18

I'm pleased to report back that the jacket is fine. I did a hand-warm hand wash, gave it a bit of a spin, pulled it into shape and then dried it flat. There was a bit of dye run and the lining is crinkly wrinkled but it hasn't shrunk.
smile

banivani Thu 18-Aug-16 13:39:07

Yay! I for one appreciate the update (am sad like that grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now