How to do 'preppy style'?

(29 Posts)
tryhard Sun 14-Aug-16 10:41:25

I've googled it but can't really find items that make up the staple wardrobe of the preppy style or celebs whose style I can steal 😈 Any suggestions? And also, does the preppy style mean super-groomed ie hair & nails done etc?

Pisssssedofff Sun 14-Aug-16 11:02:38

Looking like you've done nothing. Extremely natural. Costs a fortune lol

Pisssssedofff Sun 14-Aug-16 11:02:59

Look at Elle McPherson

PNGirl Sun 14-Aug-16 11:08:52

I don't love her but Taylor Swift when dressed down (brogues, circle skirts, matchy outfits and little bags) is sometimes considered preppy. Olivia Palermo and Emma Watson maybe as a more grown-up version? I think of it as Ralph Lauren/Tommy Hilfiger with trench coats and cable jumpers but it's generally clean unfussy hair and very relaxed.

whatiswrongwithyou Sun 14-Aug-16 11:09:21

There's a Picture of Gwyneth Paltrow today looking very preppy.

Cellardoor23 Sun 14-Aug-16 14:01:10

Skinny jeans. A jumper with a shirt underneath works pretty well I think. And maybe a good pair of canvas trainers. Minimal make-up but still have a fresh look about you. Natural hair colouring helps as well.

cardoon Sun 14-Aug-16 14:03:15

J Crew

Cellardoor23 Sun 14-Aug-16 14:04:23

I think I've just described every student in my area hmm lol. I don't know if that's preppy but I like the smart casual look

Cellardoor23 Sun 14-Aug-16 14:05:44

I've heard a pair of Todds can make you look preppy but I don't know if I can justify paying £200 on a pair of shoes lol

FlindersKeepers Sun 14-Aug-16 14:24:35

Tory Burch's Instagram
blog classygirlswearpearls.com
Lily Pulitzer print dresses (easiest via Amazon.com.
Read Town & Country magazine.

tryhard Sun 14-Aug-16 15:23:45

Oooooo ok thank you, I never would have thought of Elle McPherson. So I'm thinking I need a blazer, no jeans? Seems all chinos and shirts?

everythingsgoingsouth Sun 14-Aug-16 16:51:38

go to pinterest website, lots of ideas, for all ages /builds etc

tryhard Sun 14-Aug-16 21:02:15

What about Kate Middleton? Is she preppy?!

ChishandFips33 Sun 14-Aug-16 21:22:02

Super girl when she's at the office?
Bishop from NCIS - trousers, shirt, jumper over the top collar out, blazer?

witsender Sun 14-Aug-16 21:26:01

Is it actually the posh/rich look you are after? There's a massive thread on here somewhere about it...

Pisssssedofff Sun 14-Aug-16 21:42:48

That thread was January ish ? I howled with laughter, who on earth would want to look like a stepford wife ? Seriously ?

tryhard Mon 15-Aug-16 09:23:15

No not Stepford Wife! To be that means pearls & twin set? Is preppy more like American college campus style?

tryhard Mon 15-Aug-16 09:23:26

To me not to be!

Pisssssedofff Mon 15-Aug-16 09:28:54

I think the yummy mummy uniform is preppy style, the new stepford wife ! Do you honestly want to look like every other 30-40 in the south east .... And indeed America, Australia ... It is like an issued uniform

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Mon 15-Aug-16 09:43:52

Casual preppy
Anything from Jack Wills, A&F. Etc

Smart preppy
Gillet
Breton top/jumper
Longchamp La Pliage bag
Dark straight or skinny jeans
Converse

Even smarter preppy would be:
shirt
Chinos
Boat shoes

Make of it what you want, take inspiration from lots of sources and play around

puglife15 Mon 15-Aug-16 11:39:14

I dress a bit preppy/geek sometimes.

So a shirt or button up blouse with sleeves rolled to 3/4 length, tucked into slim cut trousers eg peg style cropped to ankle, a tailored skirt (I have a highish waisted linen one in a sort of tulip shape) or perhaps smart shorts even. Slim belt. Sometimes a blazer with sleeves turned up. Brogues or slipper style ballet flats. Sometimes a Breton style top tucked in. Subtle thin/delicate real gold jewellery.

Colour wise I wear a lot of grey, off white, faded blue, navy, khaki.

Clothes from J Crew, Uniqlo, Jigsaw, Zara, H&M.

WellTidy Mon 15-Aug-16 11:41:58

Get yourself a quality tan belt, and tuck your tops in.

WellTidy Mon 15-Aug-16 11:42:59

Add a pair of glasses.

Lucked Mon 15-Aug-16 11:48:06

Yes tucking in tops, none of the floaty style.

Gant is very preppy. Lots of shirts. I think it can be boring if you don't switch something up, do a bit of colour in your belt, handbag or shoes.

SnipSnipMrBurgess Mon 15-Aug-16 11:53:44

I love this style but you really cant pull it off when you have boobs and a bit of a belly sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now