I want to be stylish and beautiful but also buy a house

(9 Posts)
Pisssssedofff Sat 13-Aug-16 13:59:38

How to balance it all. I literally had to start all over wardrobe wise this time last year, had to buy all our housey stuff, fridges, washing machines etc. Sorted that out but trying to be a responsible grown up whilst drooling over leather leggings.
Anyone else find it hard 🙈

Trills Sat 13-Aug-16 15:40:57

Can you give yourself a monthly budget for "fripperies"?

And then spend a lot of time looking at different jeans and comparing them to make sure you get your money's worth?

Whatthefoxgoingon Sat 13-Aug-16 17:36:34

I'm usually not one to discourage buying lovely clothes, but lovely clothes in a crappy house is a bit tragic. House comes first in my books!

chanie44 Sat 13-Aug-16 17:40:20

I found it hard at first,but I'm used to it now.

Here are my tips:
I give myself a small monthly budget for things I want. It does make me spend more wisely, as I can't make so many impulsive purchases and I do get my money's worth of what I buy.

I take advantage of sales and offers. As I have to stalk some items due to budget, I've managed to get them cheaper. Recently, I was eyeing up a lipstick for £15 and snapped it up in the sale half price!!!

I write a list of stuff I want and plan when I can get them. Quite often, I end up finding something better.

I collect loyalty point etc which I either put towards treats.

If I save in other areas, it means I can have more treat money. So, I bring lunch for work from home, I get off the train a couple of stops early, meaning my commute is half price. I don't buy coffees, magazines etc. we do the food shop in lidl.

I don't feel deprived as I know I can get the things I want if I save for them. It makes me appreciate them more when I've had to think about and plan for them and I enjoy then for much longer.

Trills Sat 13-Aug-16 17:43:40

Ah but you can't deny yourself all other pleasures while saving for a house.

Well, you CAN, but it's no fun.

If it's going to take you a few years to save up then putting a bit aside for fun is necessary for your mental health, even if it then takes "a few years + a few more months".

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sat 13-Aug-16 17:46:09

House over clothes in my book - but I have crap clothes so I would say that grin

chevronrug Sat 13-Aug-16 17:46:39

yes, i find it hard because i have no income of my own so feel guilty spending joint money on clothes when dh has zero interest. i have set myself a fixed figure every month to cover make up and bits from new look or h & m. i always seem to be replacing stained or rung out tops that have washed badly or tired looking jeans. however mostly at Christmas and birthdays i go on a spending binge at higher end high street shops but this year, im going to overpay our mortgage and be a good girl.

Liiinoo Sat 13-Aug-16 18:41:59

Style and money are not necessarily connedcted. We see photos of wealthy style disasters all the time in the papers. So no need to make a choice there.

And Leather leggings - really? Are they a thing/going to be a thing?

Pisssssedofff Sat 13-Aug-16 19:15:32

They are lovely I promise, but expensive.
I'm going to have to give myself a little budget I think or this won't work. Im giving up coffees and eating out I think that's enough sacrifice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now