Classy or slutty?

(134 Posts)
strawbsers Wed 10-Aug-16 21:25:32

We had a an important customer visit to our office today - one of the female visitors (late 20s, tall and slim) was wearing a tartan mini-skirt, black opaque tights and shiny patent black pumps. I have tracked down the skirt and it was one of these; www.lookastic.co.uk/women/red-plaid-mini-skirt/shop/topshop-tartan-plaid-skirt-red-4-75373?utm_medium=Referral&utm_source=lookastic.com
I commented to my female colleagues after she left that she looked stunning and stylish - but they (all 5 of them) said she looked tarty/slutty and that it was not a suitable business outfit (I have to admit that it would have been a bit hot today - she travelled 3 hours in the car) - but I think it looked good and I'm thinking of getting same skirt/similar outfit.
What do others think - class or tart?

ThymeForTea Wed 10-Aug-16 21:28:02

For me, neither of those words cover that skirt.

'Horrible' is my best one!

Sorry

keeponkeepinon Wed 10-Aug-16 21:29:27

It's quite short, but would be longer on me. I'd wear it in the way you suggested - as long as it was longer, just above knee. Perfect with black opaques and shiny loafers/pumps.

Floggingmolly Wed 10-Aug-16 21:29:44

Where do you get "classy" from that? confused

SwearyGodmother Wed 10-Aug-16 21:30:44

I like it. I think I had one 20 years ago and would totally wear it today. Maybe not on a client visit as its not necessarily smart enough for work in my mind. It's not tarty or slutty though, horrid words. Your colleagues are judgmental wankers. Why do women use these words about other women?

user1470821493 Wed 10-Aug-16 21:30:58

Love the skirt, but I don't think I'd wear it to work as it's quite short. But that's just me and my work place - depends where you work and what your style is! I think it'd look great with thick tights and big shiny boots for a night out

MunchCrunch01 Wed 10-Aug-16 21:31:03

I reckon it's a little bit too short for work personally, wouldn't say tarty as fine for non work but not professional ime

FeckinCrutches Wed 10-Aug-16 21:31:18

What a bunch of nasty women!

YabuDabbaDoo Wed 10-Aug-16 21:31:17

I would call it edgy rather than classy. The sort of thing I wore to the pub in the 90s.

FenellaMaxwell Wed 10-Aug-16 21:31:35

It looks like the kind of thing you'd wear to a student union school disco night - sorry!

Lottapianos Wed 10-Aug-16 21:31:40

Very unpleasant for them to describe a woman's outfit as 'slutty'

I like the skirt, wouldn't wear it to work personally but with black opaque tights it's hardly scandalous either. I would happily wear it at weekends and wouldnt expect to be thought of as 'tart' hmm

toffeeboffin Wed 10-Aug-16 21:31:45

What was she wearing on top?

Also, were the shoes flat?

Destinysdaughter Wed 10-Aug-16 21:32:13

Depends on her figure, age, accessories really...

WipsGlitter Wed 10-Aug-16 21:32:14

The whole look / grooming might have improved it. But overall I'd say inappropriate workwear.

AnyFucker Wed 10-Aug-16 21:32:56

Unless you are 14yo and going to wear it with ripped black tights and DM'S that is bloody horrible

wobblywonderwoman Wed 10-Aug-16 21:33:48

It's not business wear but it's not horrible

They were quite mean I think

FenellaMaxwell Wed 10-Aug-16 21:33:51

PS my comment is mostly influenced by the fact that I a. Went to a school with a tartan uniform skirt, and b. Went to university during the grunge years grin I don't think it's tarty but I would say it's more 'fun, retro night out' than 'workwear'

Tiggeryoubastard Wed 10-Aug-16 21:36:18

Not slutty though it is inappropriate for a workplace or adult I think anyfucker summed it up.
As for classy- on what planet?
A nice tartan just over the knee with the ubiquitous black opaques and boots would be lovely though.

AnnaMarlowe Wed 10-Aug-16 21:37:22

It's not really very professional to openly critique an important customer's outfit choices.

I agree with pp that worn as shown in your link it's too short for most workplace dress codes.

I wouldn't describe it as either classy or slutty (dreadful word).

If you like it, buy it.

strawbsers Wed 10-Aug-16 21:38:54

Toffee - she was wearing a business style black blouse and a short black jacket. Well groomed and not much make-up. Shoes were flat. Overall I thought business like and our business is cosmetics - so we try to be stylish/trendy

NicknameUsed Wed 10-Aug-16 21:39:29

IMO it's too short for office wear, but I wouldn't class it as slutty (or classy)

Muddlingalongalone Wed 10-Aug-16 21:40:25

Neither classy nor slutty for me but£51confused - jaw dropping expensive for what it is.
I also had one in the 90's - regularly worn with strappy vest/choker/dm's
Too short for work imo, but if she has the legs for it & a fairly sober top/jacket not awful.

nilbyname Wed 10-Aug-16 21:42:04

The second description makes me think that the outfit works! Go for it!

HelsinkiLights Wed 10-Aug-16 21:45:27

Absolutely fine for any fashion/art/media/beauty profession.

Not ok for law/banking/accountancy or other business professions.

strawbsers Wed 10-Aug-16 21:47:34

Right - that's it. I'm going to order it and get some shiny pumps - I'll wait until Sept to wear it when it is cooler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now