Over-the-knee boots - yay or whatwereyouthinking?

(31 Posts)
chebella Tue 09-Aug-16 17:55:39

Hi, am easily influenced & impulse bought some black, flat, suede OTK boots (only 30quid though!). Are they a bit Too Much? A bit Panto/Principal Boy? FYI am 37, size 8 & have been trying to update/grow-up my wardrobe this year (mostly just COS, Other Stories etc.). Honesty welcomed as I suspect my partner will just smile & nod for fear of offence!

cheeseandmarmite15 Tue 09-Aug-16 18:52:13

You are slim enough but do need to be tall ish.

I don't think they work on short women.

www.justthedesign.com/how-to-wear-over-the-knee-boots-in-fall/

chebella Tue 09-Aug-16 18:54:45

Feared as much! 5ft 3 is too wee isn't it? Thanks, btw.

NoJudgingPlease Tue 09-Aug-16 18:55:12

Have to be super slim and worn with a classic dress nothing else too skimpy or they look quite hooker ish.

GingerLDN Tue 09-Aug-16 18:57:31

They actually tend to suit me and I'm not tall. And I'm chubby. I think you have to have the right pair or wear with the right things. Experiment with your clothes and boots. That's a good guide cheese.

chebella Tue 09-Aug-16 18:57:48

Yes NoJudging I was thinking the same & hoping that the fact they are flat might offset any tendencies Of The Night.

NoJudgingPlease Tue 09-Aug-16 18:58:45

I don't think flat ones have the same "red light" feel to them.

chebella Tue 09-Aug-16 19:02:49

Ginger I think you're right that I need to experiment with my newish wardrobe & try out a few combos. I think I used to do this loads before kids & might be part of my lack of direction/confidence with 'new' looks. Determined to remedy this!

TheWombat Wed 10-Aug-16 09:09:57

I have some flat, suede ones. They are sooo comfortable! I think the trick is to make sure they cover the knee but no higher. I wear mine with skinnies and a slouchy jumper. Definitely no cleavage.

Im 5'8" and a size 10, but I don't think size matters if you keep the rest of your outfit quite classic.

These are like mine.

Statelychangers Wed 10-Aug-16 10:00:25

Loved the idea of them, hated the reality. I'm 5ft 9 size 10-12. See very few people rocking them.

BikeRunSki Wed 10-Aug-16 10:05:54

this might be helpful

chebella Wed 10-Aug-16 20:00:44

Ha ha bike that's the exact article that 'easily influenced' me into buying them!!

chebella Wed 10-Aug-16 20:03:48

the wombat they are exactly like mine apart from mine are black suede all round: weirdly enough I had 5mins playing around with clothes today & I struck on exactly the combination you suggested! Oversize slouchy knit with skinnier under them - the combo of tight/oversized keeps it the right side of red-light district (I hope!).

chebella Wed 10-Aug-16 20:04:01

*skinnies

chebella Wed 10-Aug-16 20:05:36

stately you are statuesque compared to me but have pretty much hit my concerns on the head:that maybe they fall into the nice-in-theory-but-crackers-in-reality wardrobe section...

Statelychangers Wed 10-Aug-16 20:19:26

Chebella it depends - I love how the guardian woman wears them with soft knits, but exposing thigh flesh is not something that appeals at my age - 45. I think otk boots look a bit Roxette when worn with skinny jeans...which is cool if you like that look but it's not for me.

crayfish Wed 10-Aug-16 20:26:05

Flat ones can be really nice, heeled ones on the other hand... 'Pretty Woman' territory I'm afraid.

Keep the rest of the outfit quite conservative and I think they will look nice!

chebella Wed 10-Aug-16 20:52:41

stately I think you're spot on re:thigh flesh regardless of age. It's a bit like exposing cleavage versus legs - one or t'other but maybe not both. I think thighs are fab but maybe not with a otk boot.

chebella Wed 10-Aug-16 20:56:30

crayfish yes! I'm thinking as long as they're flat & the vibe is either conservative or chilled... Goddamn it I'm keeping them! Thanks everyone!

islandtiare Wed 10-Aug-16 21:02:44

Oh I love otk boots but I'm only five foot one (and a half)

Am a size 8 but I'm too short for em aren't I sad

cheeseandmarmite15 Wed 10-Aug-16 21:04:12

I don't think you are too short to wear them.

HelenF35 Wed 10-Aug-16 21:04:18

I love mine. I am 5ft 8 but I am not skinny.

frikadela01 Wed 10-Aug-16 21:45:05

I love OTK boots and agree skinnes and a slouchy jumper is the way to go.
Just wish I could get some but they don't make them to fit tree trunks!

chebella Wed 10-Aug-16 21:47:12

islandtiare no! Merely petite! Join me in the small-but-booted community! I've decided I don't care & shall sally forth regardless - plus, 30quid for suede boots at ASOS are hard to resist (if you're weak like me!).

chebella Wed 10-Aug-16 21:48:38

helen I was surprised at how generous the ones I got are - no struggle to get on but maybe that bodes badly for longevity (pardon the pun)...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now