Why am I flashing everything in a wrap top?

(22 Posts)
ilovecherries Mon 08-Aug-16 12:42:30

I've discovered I quite suit a wrap top/dress but I must be wearing them wrong, because within 5 mins I'm flashing my belly button. Are you supposed to pin them somehow? Attach them to your bra? It's too warm for a cami. They're the right size, but they just will not stay closed! whats the secret?

ilovecherries Mon 08-Aug-16 12:43:15

I'm quite generous of chest. 36JJ if that makes a difference.

polyhymnia Mon 08-Aug-16 12:48:20

My secret was a wonderful local alterations lady who for a small sum would just put a few stitches in strategic places. Worked perfectly, but she's moved now and I'm far too cack-handed to do it myself. But maybe you know of/ could find someone like that near you.

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Mon 08-Aug-16 12:52:47

I find it more of an issue with cheaper items (H&M etc), in which case I either stitch them or use tape (depending on whether I can be bothered to locate threads and needles or not)

Otoh I have a Boden Jersey wrap dress which does not budge all day.

burnishedsilver Mon 08-Aug-16 12:55:36

If you are buying them in very smooth or slightly shiney fabrics like that could add to the problem. I have a few in mostly cotton that don't budge

Tinklypoo Mon 08-Aug-16 12:58:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovecherries Mon 08-Aug-16 13:31:10

Right, thanks. I think I need to find someone with a needle! I've had a couple of goes but it's not sitting right. These are Boden cotton jersey so not super shiny or slippy.

chemenger Mon 08-Aug-16 13:32:55

Try using a tiny safety pin first to see where you need to fix it.

SesameSparkle Mon 08-Aug-16 13:47:43

I used to use a little brooch to keep these types of dresses shut.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Mon 08-Aug-16 13:48:54

I have this problem too OP! Good idea to go to tailor for altering.

Alternatively, someone recommended this shop on s&b ages ago for a boob-flashing problem:

perfectcami.com

I've never actually bought one, but the poster on here said it was really good and service very helpful etc. I bought some cheap modesty panels from eBay instead of this in the end and they are completely useless. I wouldn't bother with them.

OlennasWimple Mon 08-Aug-16 13:50:32

I have the same problem (also with Boden, as well as other decent makes), though am not so generously endowed. I use a safety pin until I have worked out where the best place for it is, then stitch or use a small popper

It's ridiculous though, isn't it?

wobblywonderwoman Mon 08-Aug-16 13:51:42

I think a little stitch will do the trick. I often fund straps gappy at the shoulders and get them 'nipped' in.

ilovecherries Mon 08-Aug-16 13:56:13

Let me just double check something <feels stupid>. The wrap is actually meant to bisect the beasts, isn't it? Not go over the top of them? So the underneath diagonal bisects them one way, and the top one the other way?

ilovecherries Mon 08-Aug-16 14:09:24

Is, each side of the wrap is meant to cover ONE boob, not both? Feel I missed a key lesson in dressing at some point!

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Mon 08-Aug-16 14:20:53

Interesting question!

I have always worn them with each side covering 1 boob, but I'm now wondering if it's wrong grin

banivani Mon 08-Aug-16 14:24:12

ilove, I think that's an ideal fit, but it can end up quite low cut then. And to get that fit right the top of the dress has to fit really well around your boobs which is rare. If you're big chested that might be the culprit, sadly, pulling the two sides apart. I found the Boden wrap quite generous on top but I'm only 34E UK sizes. ;) It's very common to have to tweak your wrap dress fit I'd say. Poppers and stitches and safety pins!

piddleypower Mon 08-Aug-16 14:32:41

Crop vest top/bra top underneath (primark do perfect ones) or safety pin the bottom layer to your bra.

LifeIsGoodish Mon 08-Aug-16 14:33:56

I love these tops, too. If they reveal too much for my comfort, I either pin them with a little brooch, or wear this bra.

LifeIsGoodish Mon 08-Aug-16 14:34:09

I love these tops, too. If they reveal too much for my comfort, I either pin them with a little brooch, or wear this bra.

LifeIsGoodish Mon 08-Aug-16 14:37:12

I tried that, too, piddly. Unfortunately, by bedtime I had forgotten, and tried to pull my shirt off as normal, ripping both shirt and bra, and scratching myself sad

ilovecherries Mon 08-Aug-16 15:50:23

Primark does nothing at all that fits me! I've tried the gold safety pin/small brooch etc but the additional weight dragging on the fabric just made it worse. I'm on the hunt for someone who can do a permanent, stitched fix now.

polyhymnia Mon 08-Aug-16 22:57:42

Yes, I'm sure that's the best solution.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now