Binning all mascaras...help me replace!!

(25 Posts)
LazyDoll Fri 05-Aug-16 17:20:02

Hi,
After repeated eye infections (now cleared up!) I have binned all my mascaras and need to replace.
I need a clear, a waterproof and a day/night.
I have really long, dead straight eyelashes which I curl with a curler so need volume over length or I look a bit 'spiders leggy'...
Please help me choose!!flowers

2ManySweets Fri 05-Aug-16 17:26:48

Boots no.7 stay perfect as your everyday mascara.

Alas not available in waterproof.

It's a "tubing" mascara; it coats the lash in a way that doesn't smear. Keep that in mind when you look for a waterproof one!

Finally when I used to wear clear mascara Boots Seventeen was my go-to. 👍

worrierandwine Fri 05-Aug-16 17:27:02

You are the same eyelash type as me and I'll tell you the ultimate mascara - DIOR "Diorshow Iconic Overcurl mascara"
It has a bristle brush rather than plastic to help with the volume, you don't end up with black flakes down your face but it doesn't make your eyelashes feel claggy and the curved brush helps to create the curl.

worrierandwine Fri 05-Aug-16 17:28:14

I'm pretty sure they do standard and waterproof versions too. grin

LazyDoll Fri 05-Aug-16 17:32:23

Ooo thanks I'll look out for them both. I had a Boots one (gold tube/flower on it) not sure if that was Stay Perfect?! I'm happy to stick to a cheapy clear as bin them so regularly as its more for brows really. I'll check out the Dior now too. Good tips on brushes!!! Definitely ALL in the brush!smile

2ManySweets Fri 05-Aug-16 17:39:41

The Boots Stay Perfect tube is just gold now and I can't lie, the brush looks sparse; but the coverage and hold...ahhhhhhmayyyzinggggg

LazyDoll Tue 09-Aug-16 13:01:38

2ManySweets I'm LOVING the Stay Perfect thank you!!
I had Velvet Lashes before (after a tube comparison) and the brush was very thick and unmanageable. This one is deceptive. Looks rubbish but is FAB!! And I don't have to wipe any excess off to start with which is the first mascara EVER not to need this!! Great recommendation thanks! Just a waterproof one now!!💐💐

DarkBlueEyes Tue 09-Aug-16 13:07:15

I don't get on with tubing mascaras sadly! Don't bother with the Rimmel Vomume Colourist. It's pants, flakes and smudges.

My favourite is Maybelline Define-a-Lash but no longer available except on eBay but totally worth it.

All Maybelline mascaras rate better than high end IMHO except for the Great Lash in the green/pink tube.

Otherwise Max Factor is a good bet and I'm currently using the L'Oreal millionise in the gold tube. It's ok, but not as good as Maybelline.

Apparently the Bourjois mascara is the bees knees according to some review I read (probably India Knight) and I've bought a tube but yet to try it out.

This one:

www.superdrug.com/Bourjois/Volume-Glamour-Push-up-mascara-Black/p/288117

I got the waterproof one.

I always buy waterproof as all others smudge on me. Happy shopping!

ThymeForTea Tue 09-Aug-16 13:48:21

'Their real' I can't remember the brand.

They do look like good falsies

Destinysdaughter Tue 09-Aug-16 13:51:29

I like Benefit Rollerlash. I have straight lashes and the brush is curved so seems to give them a bit of a lift

bloomburger Tue 09-Aug-16 13:51:38

Lancôme hypnose is amazing, I've tried loads, top brands and dead cheap and always come back to this one.

LikeSilver Tue 09-Aug-16 13:59:39

Chanel Dimensions is my favourite, I love it.

The Bourjois Push Up one is good too.

I love Benefit mascaras when I put them on but they always make my eyes feel dry within a couple of hours.

MaccaPaccaismyNemesis Tue 09-Aug-16 14:01:48

I second lancome hypnose. Personally I like no7 foundations but the mascara's have always been crap!

Tatlerer Tue 09-Aug-16 14:16:20

I love Maxfactor masterpiece. Don't buy Charlotte Tilbury legendary lashes if you're going upmarket- I love her lippies, blushers etc but this mascara smudges like an absolute bastard.

LazyDoll Wed 10-Aug-16 20:41:17

Ooo thanks ladies!

Out of interest DarkBlueEyes why don't you get on with tubing mascara? This is the first I've tried and is a bit odd washing it off with the spiders legs in the sink after face washing but I 'think' I'm liking it!!

Interested to try another though as a 'going out' and a waterproof so carrying on reading and planning a splurge!

DarkBlueEyes Mon 15-Aug-16 20:20:10

Lazy doll I just thought That benefit one was a bit rubbish! It certainly wasn't s good as many I'd tried and I was so disappointed as the hype was massive. It smudged as well, as most mascaras do on me. Just a massive oveepromice and under deliver situation.

Buzzardbird Mon 15-Aug-16 20:25:53

I have optical eczema which means anything that in the slightest bit flakes makes me suffer.

I have always been a Dior Show fan but sadly that flakes too after a while, so I only wear it for nights out.

My godsend has been Blinc tubing mascara that you can use to curl your lashes as it sets as you apply it and it comes off only with warm water or my Simple facial wipes. It stays on all day (and evening) and maintains the curl that you put in when you apply it.

DoitotmeSheldon Mon 15-Aug-16 20:33:57

They're real is okay but no better than volume million lashes which is half the price. I like the one in the green tube just because I find it easier to apply. I've also just discovered GOSH rebel lash which was cheap as chips but fantastic

DarkBlueEyes Wed 31-Aug-16 22:10:06

Just to report the Bourjois one was rubbish. Meh. Flaked within an hour. God I hate spanking money on crap mascaras.

notagiraffe Wed 31-Aug-16 22:12:57

Maybelline Volume Xpress (bright yellow tube) waterproof is really great. The only waterproof mascara I've ever had that doesn't flake and irritate your eyes.

EnidButton Wed 31-Aug-16 22:21:14

Place marking as I'm in need of a new mascara to replace my Diorshow. It's fantastic but it gives too much length and my lashes are really long atm (been using a serum). The mascara makes them look too long so I want volume too.

Going to take a look at all the suggestions later.

Howaboutthisone Wed 31-Aug-16 22:33:03

For waterproof max factor false lash effect is brilliant.

SheStoodInTheStorm Wed 31-Aug-16 22:46:26

Following with interest!

I'm currently using Benefit's Roller Lash, I like the initial effect of it but after a while it irritates my eyes. It also smudges terribly.

I have long straight lashes and would love to find a mascara that could help hold a curl.

bikerlou Wed 31-Aug-16 22:47:15

is it me or are all mascaras rubbish now - dry and don't last 5 minutes. Overpriced too.

PollysPoppy Wed 31-Aug-16 22:58:17

I bought a Bobbi Browne mascara at the weekend and it's useless. Yes, my lashes look long and curled but I also end up with panda shadows about an hour later. It doesn't flake as such but somehow leaves me with dark rings.

Used Estée Lauder before this one and it didn't budge all day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now