Cheesecloth/muslin etc. cover-up tops to help me avoid PLE (sun reaction)

(25 Posts)
OldLagNewName Mon 01-Aug-16 21:54:32

I get PLE (polymorphic light erruption) whenever the temperature goes near 30 degrees. Luckily, living in the UK, that's rarely a problem smile, but I have got it on holiday every year I've gone somewhere warm. Keeping your skin protected from the sun is the best way to prevent it but I also hate feeling hot, so can't bear the though of wearing my usual tops if the weather is hot.

Has anyone spotted any blouses or tops made of something really cool and thin (and natural fibres) - something like cheesecloth, muslin or very fine cotton - which also cover up the tops of the arms and top of chest (these are the bits that get the worst rash). I've had a look, but only found low-cut necks (boho kind of cheesecloth blouses) or high necks but with no sleeves. I need both high neck and sleeves (although elbow length sleeves would be fine).

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 02-Aug-16 16:44:18

I get PLE too, though im a bit jealous as mine starts about April even in British weather grin

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're looking for, but I've ordered this white shirt from the Boden sale. It hasn't arrived yet though so I don't know how lightweight it really is. It comes in some other colours too.

Oncandystripedlegs Tue 02-Aug-16 19:23:20

H & M had some lovely ones, not too expensive either!

herecomesthsun Tue 02-Aug-16 19:54:05

try TK Maxx on line for white cotton blouses/ tops.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 02-Aug-16 19:57:39

I got some Mantaray kaftan/pool cover up things. Nice and light.

I had PLE for the first time this year, is there any treatment for it?

EmpressTomatoKetchup Tue 02-Aug-16 20:03:58

I bought a couple of cottony cover up things from Mango recently.
shop.mango.com/GB/p0/woman/clothing/dresses/mini/bead-embroidery-dress/?id=63033554_31&n=1&s=prendas.vestidosprendas

And

shop.mango.com/GB/p0/woman/clothing/dresses/mini/flared-skirt-dress/?id=63063553_99&n=1&s=prendas.vestidosprendas

OldLagNewName Tue 02-Aug-16 20:12:08

Thanks. There are some other suggestions on the duplicate thread I accidentally posted too (is there a way to delete duplicates if you realise straight away? I couldn't find one).

Troll NHS choices says only cortisone cream (which I find makes no discernable difference) and, if very bad, building up your tolerance in hospital versions of (effectively) sunbeds every spring. But I have lots of moles so really don't want to try that. Prevention is the main thing they suggest, so suncream and physical barriers and staying in the shade.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 02-Aug-16 22:37:32

I am a paddle boarder... How am I going to do that in the shade?? wink

Good grief. I think this will be an interesting convo with my gp

OldLagNewName Wed 03-Aug-16 07:27:29

Large parasol attached to your board? wink.

If it is PLE, rather than prickly heat, then an adult version of those sunsuits for babies?!

Savagebeauty Wed 03-Aug-16 07:36:08

I have it too.
I never go abroad and never sit in the sun here.
I get affected on my chest, neck and face.....also get pustular rosacea in the heat.

Fozzleyplum Wed 03-Aug-16 07:39:37

I have some Massimo Dutti and Brora shirts with sleeves which are made of silk and cotton, which are very thin and not low necked. I bought mine from Ebay.

Fozzleyplum Wed 03-Aug-16 07:59:40

This type of thing. The fabric is very thin and they need little if any ironing.
ebay Massimo Dutti top

Djangor Wed 03-Aug-16 08:06:33

For any water activities there are loads of different styles of surf suits available with sun protection now - not just for babies. Lands End & Boden do different styles of rash vest etc but they are often more expensive (due to the prints they use) than the basic types from online surf shops. I used to wear a tshirt over my swimsuit or a thin type of catsuit type of wetsuit but so much more available & much cheaper nowadays.

cathyandclaire Wed 03-Aug-16 08:11:46

I had this, I found very very very very gradual sun exposure did the trick. So, exposing my chest ( it was only my upper chest that was affected) for twenty mins on slightly bright April days in the UK, then building up. A dermatologist friend recommended this approach and it definitely works. I still cover up lots on holiday but I haven't had a rash for years now.

Savagebeauty Wed 03-Aug-16 08:13:30

Cathy yes a dermatologist recommended this to me.
But even that small amount of sun has me burning

AmethystMoon Wed 03-Aug-16 08:18:32

I also suffer from PLE. I take Heliocare from about March/April onwards each year. It is a supplement that boosts skins ability to cope with the sun. I still use factor 50 and cover up but for those times I get agur out or for hard to cover feet etc. It is fantastic

Savagebeauty Wed 03-Aug-16 08:26:17

Where is that available from amethyst

LifeIsGoodish Wed 03-Aug-16 09:34:10

Fellow sufferer here. Cheesecloth, muslin and wet T-shirts will not work. They are too thin and do not protect you from the sun.

I now have annual desensitisation therapy (thank you NHS star!) but this is what I used to do before:

Men's dress shirts, ie thick, pastel or white cotton, with a collar, worn open and loose over whatever else I was wearing. In particularly hot weather is wear a vest top underneath and just buttoned the top button, with the collar turned up.

Technical clothing. You can get lightweight shirts and trousers with sun factor 50 rating in camping/hiking shops. Not the prettiest or most stylish, but practical.

Long- sleeved rash vests. Only for swimming, though. Rather sweaty otherwise!

Any fabric that you hold up to the light and cannot see spots of brightness between the fibres will give you decent protection while dry, so I used a dressing gown pattern to make myself a pretty robe to wear on the beach/poolside.

Muslin or cheesecloth are useful worn layered or rumpled as shawls to protect your neck and chest.

Anti-histamines, every morning, just as if I had hayfever.

AmethystMoon Wed 03-Aug-16 17:10:41

savage it's available from various places on line. I think I got my last pot from Amazon. Worth comparing prices though as they do vary.

Savagebeauty Wed 03-Aug-16 17:18:14

Oh thank you!
Yes to daily antihistamines as well

DeadGood Wed 03-Aug-16 22:28:08

I picked up some shirts from uniqlo last year in linen - it's the coolest fibre

TragicallyUnbeyachted Wed 03-Aug-16 22:35:19

I used to have PLE (it went away when I had children, along with most of my previously severe hay fever - not sure whether there was a causative link or just correlation). Cheesecloth won't do you any good - I always needed closely-woven cotton or a proper SPF-rated top, although I used to be able to get away with sun exposure on alternate days. Plus I was taking antihistamines from April to September anyway and they may have helped. And I found (or convinced myself, anyway) that Piz Buin Allergy was the most effective sunscreen for me.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 03-Aug-16 23:09:36

I find Ultrasun SPF50 works well. It doesn't come off even when swimming (as long as you only towel gently). I only need to reapply to hands if I have been washing them a lot.

I wear sunglasses to prevent the eye lumps, as suncream gets into my eyes and irritates them.

My Boden shirt has arrived and I like it. It is quite thin though, so depends how sensitive you are. My body is generally OK anyway, but I like to cover up in strong sunshine just in case.

I'm having chemo at the mo, and last time it got rid of my PLE completely so I am hoping it'll have the same effect this time round smile

LifeIsGoodish Wed 03-Aug-16 23:30:17

Interested that people find high-SPF sunscreens prevent their PLE. Sunscreen has never had a protective effect on me. Yeah, it stops me burning, but it doesn't prevent the rash. Only physically shading my skin does that.

sycamore54321 Thu 04-Aug-16 03:06:33

PLE sounds rough. If the aim is to prevent UV light falling on the skin, then the key is fabric with a really tight weave. Muslin etc would still let a lot of light through. You could try looking on some Australian fashion websites - Australians really know a thing or two about sun protection. I think you can get fairly tight-weave fabrics that at the same time aren't too heavy b

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now