Home working wardrobe ideas

(12 Posts)
lifeofsiam Fri 29-Jul-16 12:19:04

I'm about to start working self-employed from home after several decades in the corporate world and would love to hear your suggestions for a capsule wardrobe.

I'm 5ft 3, size 10-12 and mid-50's (people usually think I'm mid- to late 40's she says in a stealth boast).

I want to feel relaxed but professional, and ideally only have to change my footwear when I go out for a dog walk, or out of my home office to put a wash on/prep dinner.

I don't want to fall back on jeans and t-shirts - but what are the alternatives?

I'll keep my more formal clothes for meeting clients, and am thinking high street for the working at home wardrobe- your suggestions of clothes and shops would be gratefully received.

JamieVardysParty Fri 29-Jul-16 15:49:31

I work from home and live in a combination of jeans/chinos/silk joggers with vest tops and cotton shirts or Bretons.

Basically like something in the photos.

itstheyearzero Fri 29-Jul-16 16:14:48

I work from home and always have good intentions to dress properly, but usually I think 'whats the point?' and wear comfy lounge wear. Saves me a fortune in proper clothes though!

lifeofsiam Fri 29-Jul-16 16:17:53

Thanks both - which are your go-to brands Jamie?

I suspect I will indeed end up in loungewear, but want to start off with good intentions.

JamieVardysParty Fri 29-Jul-16 16:25:35

I live in a mixture of ASOS, Topshop, Zara, Mango, Jack Wills, Joules, Next and Hush. Mainly ASOS though - love their loungewear section.

Although today I am in PJs, the Aussie brand Peter Alexander. Loving my Dumbo PJs grin

lurkingfromhome Fri 29-Jul-16 16:29:09

At the moment I'm in the legendary Boden black ruched skirt, Birkies and a grey Uniqlo sweatshirt. Comfy but wouldn't be embarrassed if someone came to the door. Failing that, l usually wear Hush harems with T-shirt/sweatshirt/vest top and cardy. Or Gap khakis, rolled up, and a T-shirt.

Winter usually comfy jersey dress, woolly tights and Uggs. Or the Boden skirt, with a big comfy jumper (I bought two H&M jumpers for £25 each last winter and am ashamed to say I pretty much lived in them all winter), or a long-sleeved T-shirt and a really long Hush cardigan (the Nina one).

OnlyTheDepthVaries Fri 29-Jul-16 18:29:04

Just stay in your pajamas!!!

carrie74 Fri 29-Jul-16 20:39:12

I work from home once a week, and just wear whatever I put on (I still have to go out to do school run etc). Generally jeans though...

travailtotravel Fri 29-Jul-16 20:44:08

I work at home and its jeans and a tshirt in the main. I think they key thing is will you be doing video Skype/webcam meetings/hangouts and so can be seen?

I'll often just wrap a scarf and fluff my hair ahead of any such events.

I also had every good intention.

lifeofsiam Fri 29-Jul-16 22:45:05

Nope, only the dog will see me. Let's see how long my good intentions last...

Passthecake30 Fri 29-Jul-16 22:49:51

I'd just wear my jeans...and then probably a dressing gown thrown over in the winter when I don't want to put the heating on for just me. I'm a scruff bag.

Pisssssedofff Sat 30-Jul-16 09:41:32

There's no advantage to working from home unless you can wear dumbo PJ's

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now