is this a poor choice for the ample of bosom?

(18 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Wed 27-Jul-16 14:33:32

Got this dress in the sale and love the colour and the embriodery at the hem but it's tight under the arms and a bit round the chest. It's loose on the waist and hips. If I sized up it'll look too big on the waist and hips. Is this just one for smaller chests? Should I bow out and return it instead of making a mistake? My self confidence is so crap I am struggling to know!

DonkeyOaty Wed 27-Jul-16 14:42:01

send it back not for boobage but for tight under the arms. You won't be comfy wearing it and it'll languish unworn in your wardrobe

keeponkeepinon Wed 27-Jul-16 14:50:25

Such a shame . The shade of khaki is perfect for me. I need talking out of a panic buy though. I made a pact with myself to stop buying things that don't quite fit because I have been trying to slim into things for years now !
I now know I really want a soft khaki summer dress though!

DonkeyOaty Wed 27-Jul-16 14:56:04

Why not send back and size up? You might be surprised

DonkeyOaty Wed 27-Jul-16 14:58:08

(I also want to tell you not be down on yourself, what can we do to boost your confidence and self esteem but that's another thread isn't it) <non MN hug>

keeponkeepinon Wed 27-Jul-16 15:09:16

Size up will take 7 weeks to come (next sale) and my holidays will be long gone by then! I just don't have the confidence to say yep, that's fine or no, no its not when I try stuff on!
If I sized up it'd be so big around waist and hips I wouldn't like it is don't think.
I'd usually go for a more shapely dress that nips in at the waist. There must be a good reason for that!
I'm being daft, why keep something I know I'll be shifting around uncomfortable in! I just need talking down sometimes

Beanzmeanzcoffee Wed 27-Jul-16 15:14:53

I do the same thing. Currently working my way through my wardrobe and getting rid of stuff that isn't perfect (tight arms/bust/not quite the right length etc).
If you're big boobed does that dress not look a bit shapeless (I hope that doesn't sound rude. On me it would just be hanging from my widest point).

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 27-Jul-16 15:16:55

I think with that style sizing up will be fine.

keeponkeepinon Wed 27-Jul-16 15:18:26

That's just what I am worried about. Just hanging down from boobs and making me look a brick. I think I've talked myself out of it now...it's not quite right. Thanks.
Now I need to find a nice khaki dress for a waist and boobs!

Hoppinggreen Wed 27-Jul-16 15:19:46

Nice dress but I'm booby and I wouldn't look good in it, it would fit my chest and then be shapeless and make me look fat(ter)
I'm an hourglass though so loose clothes don't really work

Gruach Wed 27-Jul-16 15:22:11

It's not the best shape for your shape - but if you love it and need it for the holiday can you not get a dressmaker to put in some extra fabric under the arms? That might work.

(Left to myself I would be eying up the kitchen scissors. Don't do that ...)

Beanzmeanzcoffee Wed 27-Jul-16 15:27:28

I quite like this although personally I'd like sleeves but that's my issue.

Lexilooo Wed 27-Jul-16 15:34:35

Size up and take it in on the waist. An easy alteration that will make all the difference.

ohidoliketobe Wed 27-Jul-16 15:40:43

If you don't feel comfy in it return it.
I'd order the next size up - I find Next sale to be a be hit and miss with the advertised delivery times, I've had this saying 6+ weeks turn up within a week.

When not heavily pregnant, I am also large busted but smallish waist and it's bloody difficult to get comfortable, casual dresses to wear for day time! Anything that does fit an hourglass is usually more formal wear. Lindy Bop 50s style dresses, whilst perfect for my figure and nights out/ weddings are not exactly ideal for wandering around Costa del sol in 30 degree heat!

BitOutOfPractice Wed 27-Jul-16 15:46:22

I would worry, with that style, that it would just sort of hang from the larger nork and make you look bigger on the bottom half if you know what I mean

keeponkeepinon Wed 27-Jul-16 15:47:14

I like shirt dresses too but sometimes I think they can look a bit matronly on me given the said boobs. So that's a bit of a no go too unfortunately.
I'm not sure if this could be taken in really. It's totally straight at the seams.
Oh, I don't need it for the holiday....not really.

SilverBat Wed 27-Jul-16 16:04:02

Bravissimo might be your friend
It's more money, I thought it might be in the sale by now.
Trouble with having big boobs, if you don't wear fitted at the waist too, most things look like a maternity smock.
This dress is the most flattering I have bought in a while.
I like the dress you got, and would have tried it on myself - but known deep down it wouldn't do much for my figure. Probably would have kept it too, to wear around the house when it's hot!

keeponkeepinon Wed 27-Jul-16 16:13:56

Ythat's a bit more than I was looking to pay. Just picked this next one up to try in the sale. I'll have to try it on for Dh, he'll tell me nicely if it doesn't look good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now