Is a great leather jacket an investment?

(14 Posts)
cressetmama Tue 26-Jul-16 16:29:44

I shall have a decent budget and am quite tempted to look for a leather jacket. Given that I am old and grey, where should I look for something suitable but directional? I'm 5' 5" tall, size 10-12, fairly generous of chest, but neat of bum. Wear jeans 80% of my life and live in the rural west!

vitaminC Tue 26-Jul-16 16:47:50

No idea about shops as not in the UK, but it's definitely a great investment.

I have one I wear loads. It's oxblood (brownish dark red), which looks great with my warm colouring and goes with absolutely everything in my wardrobe. I bought it around 5 years ago and had it professionally cleaned earlier this year, but it's still in great condition and so, so comfy smile

PNGirl Tue 26-Jul-16 17:05:07

Mine are both All Saints. Can't beat them but you need £300+.

cressetmama Tue 26-Jul-16 20:43:13

Err... was thinking rather more upmarket. Budget is 700 ish.......... but, it can't have chest pockets (which rather rules out my first thought of Belstaff)

Or a beautiful bag... I like the Loewe Puzzle, but hate most designer bags, and anything branded is a complete no, thank you. Bottege Veneta, I like but above the budget. Think stealth.... it's not a competition, but I don't want to think A/W 2016 when I look at it in the cupboard in 2020. I'm 60 soon, and want to be using or wearing this for 20 years.

Pisssssedofff Tue 26-Jul-16 20:48:54

Mine is from whistles with 20% off and I wouldn't have spent more than that, it's lovely bit I'm under no illusions I'll be fed up of it one day.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 26-Jul-16 21:10:58

I have two biker-style and one blazer style. I love the two bikers, wear the blazer one less often now. I am in exactly the same boat as the poster above, funnily enough, I bought one of the bikers in Whistles with the 20% off Grazia code earlier this year, and I wouldn't have spent more than I did. My other two are Warehouse and Oasis.

bigTillyMint Tue 26-Jul-16 21:15:41

I have 2 leather biker jackets (one black, one brown) and a tan suede blazer style. All are really useful, great with jeans!Two from TK Maxx (IIRC) and one from Zara - not at all expensive!

A bag is a great idea too.

cressetmama Wed 27-Jul-16 11:56:47

Thank you all for the input. I may be setting the bar too high in aiming for a 20-year purchase! Will just keep my eyes peeled for something perfect at a lower price, with a coupon!

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 27-Jul-16 11:59:56

I think leather jackets date but then I think pretty much everything dates.

You could get a very nice leather jacket from Jigsaw, Whistles, All Saints, The white company, Reiss etc for £300 - £400.

If you want to spend over £1k then Rick Owens are lovely.

frenchielala Wed 27-Jul-16 12:01:48

The Kooples and Zadig & Voltaire do some lovely ones and it is a good season to get one. Where do you live? It is worth going to a high end department store (Selfridges, Harvey Nicks etc) as they will have a large selection at the £400 mark but then they will also have the more luxe £650+ brands too depending on what floor you are shopping.

The Village in Westfields also has lots of brands so a good selection.

lcoc2015 Wed 27-Jul-16 12:07:22

I feel that there are definite trends in leather jackets - i.e. moto / bomber / blazer / little cropped jacket. I spent a lot of money on a moto version but now feel it looks quite dated. It'll sit in my wardrobe until such a time i feel i can pull it out again. Kind of wished i'd bought a decent but not too expensive one from the likes of whistles / all saints now!

EssentialHummus Wed 27-Jul-16 12:12:08

Another vote for All Saints here - my biker style jacket looks fab with jeans and gets lots of compliments.

WhooooAmI24601 Wed 27-Jul-16 12:12:43

I bought two in black and brown from Monsoon completely accidentally one summer afternoon after spotting them. They're quite simple and don't have much by way of zips/pockets/dangly bits so never look out-of-date.

I also have a DKNY leather jacket that is still as beautiful as the day I bought it. It was around £550 in a sale and DS1 (10) has already eyed it up.

cressetmama Wed 27-Jul-16 12:26:04

MrsCampbellBlack, Rick Owens nails the look I'd like. Anything similar, but ahem a little more accessible, or is that All Saints?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now