How to clean my rings

(19 Posts)
MrsBosh Sat 23-Jul-16 13:37:48

I want to clean my engagement and wedding rings at home. They're platinum and diamond and seem to be full of suncream and just a lot less sparkly than they used to be.
Googling suggests a variety of methods; washing up liquid in warm water with a soft toothbrush, toothpaste, vinegar?
We live hundreds of miles away from the jewellers my DH bought them from so I'd like a DIY method if poss.
Any suggestions greatly received.

midnightmoomoo Sat 23-Jul-16 13:59:21

Our jeweller recommended warm water with a squirt if fairy liquid, leave to soak then brush gently with a soft toothbrush.

cheeseandmarmite15 Sat 23-Jul-16 14:44:37

Yes to fairy liquid. I use a glass of warm water with fairy liquid. Soak over night. Rinse and they sparkle like new!

LemonDr1zzle Sat 23-Jul-16 14:48:53

I use a small drop of washing up liquid and an old electric toothbrush head that I keep just for cleaning jewellery. Rinse in clean water and pat dry with a towel, they come up beautifully.

MrsBosh Sat 23-Jul-16 15:54:05

Fabulous, that seems to be consensus. Nice and easy! Electric toothbrush head is a good idea as they're nice and soft.
Thank you for your help!

cressetmama Sat 23-Jul-16 18:03:33

Follow the instructions above, then dunk them in an egg cup of gin (or vodka) for five minutes. I cleaned DMiL's beautiful rings for her (and they were filthy, had clearly not been cleaned in years) and they looked about 100% more impressive. Interdental brushes are great for getting deep into the mountings (but I use an old one as they are quite ££).

MrsBosh Sat 23-Jul-16 18:57:39

Fab, thanks cresset! Sure DH has some interdental brushes that don't fit in his teeth in the bathroom cupboard. Off to search...

TwinsplusAnotherTwo Sat 23-Jul-16 19:50:56

The jeweller who made my engagement ring said not to use a toothbrush - you can loosen claws around the stone (if you have them).
Use a makeup brush instead. And give them a rinse in clean water to get any soap etc off them.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Sat 23-Jul-16 19:53:52

I have always fancied a sonic jewellery cleaner. Is it just a waste of money?

Catgirl83 Sat 23-Jul-16 22:35:03

I have a sonic cleaner and would honestly say it's worth every penny.

ButtfaceMiscreant Sat 23-Jul-16 22:37:14

I used a bowl of warm water with a squirt of washing up liquid or liquid handsoap, and DCs old toothbrush (baby toothbrush so soft bristles). Worked a treat! very ashamed at the gunk I removed

feelinginthedark Sat 23-Jul-16 23:18:13

The steam thingy for heating and frothing up milk does a really nice job on rings if your coffee machine has one.

DailyMailPenisPieces Sun 24-Jul-16 01:59:35

feeling do you mean like a nespresso one?

2nds Sun 24-Jul-16 02:03:47

My grandmother used to put hers in a glass of coke overnight.

leadrightfoot Sun 24-Jul-16 09:21:35

Sonic cleaner with a drop of washing up liquid in it best invention I have bought even if I only use it once every few months saves so much time and faffing about
I think I got a cheap one from Lidl or similar about 5 years ago.
Thanks for the reminder will now go do mine!

MrsBosh Sun 24-Jul-16 09:44:09

Cheers everyone! I went for a soak in fairy and warm water then a very gentle scrub with ano interdental brush (not on the claws!) Looks much more sparkly!

DH is lusting after a good coffee machine feeling and I'm going to get him one for his birthday so that's good to know about the frother bit!

MrsBosh Sun 24-Jul-16 09:46:03

Awful pic, seems to have focused on my nail. It looks better IRL hmm

hollyisalovelyname Sun 24-Jul-16 09:46:59

How does the sonic thing work?

Polkadot1974 Sun 24-Jul-16 20:12:31

What about for white gold? Same?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now