Balayage with straight hair

(10 Posts)
redhat Fri 22-Jul-16 15:59:54

I have very long (waist length) thick dark brown hair and am having it highlighted using balayage tomorrow. The highlights will be a mid brown and a caramel colour. Its currently all one length and naturally straight.

Last time I asked about balayage the hairdresser was reluctant and said it only looks good if you have layers and a curl/wave to the hair.

Does anyone have balayage on straight hair. Obviously I can curl it but I know I won't do that every day.

Queenbean Fri 22-Jul-16 16:02:21

I have curly hair and my hair dresser said the same. I have now had the balayage worked out and highlights put in so its a more natural beach feel. I do straighten it occasionally but when it was balayaged it just looked far too two tone. With a curl in its a much softer effect.

If you will always only have straight hair id advise balayage with some highlights and natural low lights worked in too so you don't get too much of a harsh line between the colours.

redhat Fri 22-Jul-16 16:06:39

Hmm, the whole point of having the balayage was to get a more natural look without the stripey roots look. Might need to gather lots of pictures on pinterest to make sure I can explain exactly what I'm looking for.

Knittedfrog Fri 22-Jul-16 16:11:00

I would agree with your hairdresser. It does tend to look better on layered hair with a bit of movement in it. If you use the colours you've said and stay away from blonde, I'm sure the highlights would look more natural and not stripey.

redhat Fri 22-Jul-16 16:13:29

I don't mind them putting some long layers in it if that helps. I just want to get away from the very dark all one length style that I currently have. I'm feeling the need to be a bit more glam!

Know that even with the best of intentions I will not curl it every day. My hair is very heavy and so I have to sleep in bendy rollers for it to hold a curl.

Queenbean Fri 22-Jul-16 16:14:27

Balayage isn't anything to do with the roots, it starts part way down the hair and is coloured so the ends are a different colour to the top. I have seen it many times looking like your whole head has been dip dyed in bleach.

My hair dresser does a combo of highlights, lowlights, balayage, baby lights and free hand and I love it smile

redhat Fri 22-Jul-16 16:20:04

Yes that's why I wanted balayage. My hair grows like the clappers and so if I have root highlights they are very visible after 4 weeks.

I had ombre about 4/5 years ago but wanted something a bit more natural with the colour coming from different places.

Your hairdresser sounds like she has a good technique Queen

FashionLover1 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:21:48

I am not quite sure about balayage but I have ombre on straight hair and love it.

redhat Fri 22-Jul-16 16:55:06

I'd like something similar to this. maybe a tad darker

redhat Fri 22-Jul-16 17:07:05

In fact more like this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now