What should I buy in New York, where should I shop?

(15 Posts)
ConstantlyCooking Fri 22-Jul-16 12:32:46

Hi all,
I am going to New York at the weekend and wondered if there were any good buys (even with the current exchange rate) and also is there a good outlet centre DD and I could visit. Ideally we would like something with a focus more high street stores rather than luxury brands.
I am posting in Chat and Style and Beauty because I am interested in clothes, makeup, accessories and just general ideas
Thank you

ZaraW Fri 22-Jul-16 12:48:55

I prefer Nordstrom Rack on Union Square to Century 21.

ConstantlyCooking Fri 22-Jul-16 12:50:28

Is that a centre? Someone recommended Woodberry Common?

TheNaze73 Fri 22-Jul-16 12:56:26

Woodberry Common is an outlet centre, outside of NYC. Accessible by bus

ZaraW Fri 22-Jul-16 13:02:37

It's a high end dept. store selling past seasons at good reductions. Worth a visit.

Floisme Fri 22-Jul-16 18:16:05

I thought their high street was rubbish I'm afraid but their second hand ( consignment) shops are great - lots of barely worn labels. Tokyo 7 - somewhere around the East village - is my favourite.

Scarydinosaurs Fri 22-Jul-16 19:12:19

Woodberry Common is very good- look out for extra discount cards too.

GERTgert06 Fri 22-Jul-16 20:56:58

Lower East Side is the best place to shop, in my opinion.

ConstantlyCooking Sun 24-Jul-16 13:32:28

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am leaving lots of extra space in my suit case.

UhtredRagnorsson Sun 24-Jul-16 15:15:04

Why would you go to NYC and then leave it to go to a featureless outlet Centre? confused

cressetmama Sun 24-Jul-16 19:59:53

Don't quote me, but the section of 7th Avenue (near Parsons) (22-24th) used to be a treasure trove. It was a long time ago. But it was the center of the garment district and focused on designer US labels,

YesOfCourseAlways Sun 24-Jul-16 21:43:11

Yy, Nordstrom Rack is great. stuffed to the gills with designer/higher end high street. Give yourself lots of time!

ConstantlyCooking Fri 29-Jul-16 22:25:44

Hi. Many thanks for the suggestions. I will discuss with DD!
Don't worry uthred we are in NYC for a few days and will be seeing the Lou Reed event at the Lincoln Center, the Guggenheim, Met Art Museum etc as well wink

FrustratedFrugal Fri 29-Jul-16 22:33:04

Club Monaco, J Crew, Madewell, Reformation, possibly Anthropologie for clothes; Sephora and drugstores for cosmetics. I like Nordstroms. Woodbury is a bit too far if you have limited time. Target if you like cheap and cheerful.

conkerpods Fri 29-Jul-16 23:01:06

My favourite shop in NYC is Old Navy,it's like Primark but much better quality and they have some great stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now