Any quick fixes?

(14 Posts)
RonSwansonsBestFriend Thu 21-Jul-16 06:54:12

I'm a size 6, borderline underweight and yet I have flab.

I have back fat, wobbly thighs (more flabby than cellulite) and a muffin top.

This is NOT a case of body dysmorphia, I am just very aware of myself.

I exercise regularly and do yoga, I've seen a slight improvement since I've upped my workouts but still not great.

How do I get rid of the fat, without losing weight?

Thanks.

KatharinaRosalie Thu 21-Jul-16 07:03:34

what exercise you do? Sounds like you need to build some muscle - you need to lift weights for that, and eat protein.

RonSwansonsBestFriend Thu 21-Jul-16 07:26:12

I bike ride, brisk walk and weight traini with low weights but use ankle strap ones.

I'm early 40's so aging is a factor.

TheNotoriousPMT Thu 21-Jul-16 07:28:17

How tall are you?

RonSwansonsBestFriend Thu 21-Jul-16 07:29:24

5ft 5, I think

ApocalypseSlough Thu 21-Jul-16 07:41:36

If you're borderline underweight and have a muffin top your clothes must be wrongly fitting. Keep hydrated, water and moisturiser, keep active and aware of your posture and stop obsessing! It sounds as if your body is more than good enough if not perfect and any attempts to spot tone or fix the perceived problems might have a tiny effect but could also lead to more obsessing and weight loss.
Enjoy your body and recalibrate your attitude.

TheNotoriousPMT Thu 21-Jul-16 07:41:49

More weight/resistance training will build muscle, for sure. If you're a gym member talk to a member of staff about what you want to achieve and get them to write you out a training programme.

But the height/dress size you mention, I can't help wondering if any neutral observer would really use 'flabby' to describe you.

RonSwansonsBestFriend Thu 21-Jul-16 07:58:48

Nope, people definitely would say I'm slim and have a lovely figure. I argue that it doesn't look good in the flesh......I'd take a picture to prove it and post it but I can't work out how to do it.

It's all relative and this development is fairly new. I used to be fairly toned and quite firm.

My thighs wobble when I walk and my tummy spills over my waist band but if I got bigger clothes, they just wouldn't fit.

I always used to be paranoid about what I eat but in the last few years have been so relaxed, I never check contents of food. Which means I don't overeat, or gorge on chocolate etc, as I don't deny myself.

I think I probably need to up the cardio and accept that my body will change as I age?

Thanks for the replies.

KatharinaRosalie Thu 21-Jul-16 08:32:20

I think I probably need to up the cardio - Up the weights instead and you'll see a difference.
If you don't like heavy weights, the good news is that according to latest research, smaller weights and more reps give the same effect. But you have to work until the muscle is fatigued - this is very hard to do with just ankle strap weights. I'm a few sizes bigger than you, not far from 40 and thanks to weight training, I do not wobble anywhere. I totally agree that it's possible to be 'skinny fat', so you're not necessarily imagining it.

Doinmummy Thu 21-Jul-16 08:36:32

My thighs wobble when I walk and I have rolls around my tummy when I sit down . I'm 5ft 8 and a size 8 , I think it's normal .

BananaChew Thu 21-Jul-16 08:43:52

Full body exercises - press ups, burpees, kettlebells. They will tone you all over, giving you a leaner look that will complement your slight figure.

There are some excellent videos available on YouTube.

KatharinaRosalie Thu 21-Jul-16 08:52:18

Here is an interesting blog post with photos of slim people, and the same slim people after they've put some muscle on.
bonytobombshell.com/bombshell-aesthetics-building-attractive-female-body-imaginable/

KatharinaRosalie Thu 21-Jul-16 09:28:58

(try to ignore all the talk about what men find attractive in that blog post - making me quite cross actually)

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 21-Jul-16 19:06:45

Cardio will make you lose weight. It will burn fat. You obviously don't have any fat on you if you're borderline underweight.

Start lifting weights. Look at the success stories board on my fitness pal to see the results people get. Or Kayla itsines Instagram.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now