Why put a polyester lining in a cotton or linen dress?

(20 Posts)
JapanNextYear Wed 20-Jul-16 18:04:17

What is the point? Pick up a dress that looks cool and non sweat inducing, all natural fibres that will breathe. And there's a bloody polyester lining in it, so I'll stick to the train seat...

Can I just take them out?

BeJayKayven Wed 20-Jul-16 18:11:44

Annoying! Of all places George at Asda had cotton shift dresses with cotton linings earlier in the summer - for £18!

LunaLoveg00d Wed 20-Jul-16 18:12:18

Because it's cheaper to make.

It's a bloody pain. I've found a couple of cotton dresses with cotton lining in Sainsbury's and M&S recently.

SewSlapdash Wed 20-Jul-16 18:23:29

Its also to help the garment slide over the body without rucking up, and cotton lining doesn't allow for thus. I've made dresses with cotton lined bodices and polyester lined skirts.

BeMorePanda Wed 20-Jul-16 18:31:27

I once had some lovely winter wool trousers from Gap - made with a stretch wool flannel. Except the lining wasn't stretch! What is the point of that?

cheeseandmarmite15 Wed 20-Jul-16 18:42:07

After seeing this beautiful dress on Pippa Middleton and Kim Murray I considered buying it as a classic timeless occasion dress.

The underslip is viscose! Bloody viscose!

www.lkbennett.com/Collections/Clothing/Karo-Minimal-Daisies-Print-Dress/p/DRKAROSILKPinkDusk%20Pink?nv=

One of the loveliest dresses I've ever seen but spoilt with the cheapo lining.

CointreauVersial Wed 20-Jul-16 19:06:39

Viscose is a breatheable, natural fibre at least.....

ShatnersBassoon Wed 20-Jul-16 19:09:09

Viscose is a brilliant fabric. Less creasey than cotton, absorbent and breathable. I will defend viscose whenever I can grin

I hate viscose - creases like a bastard.

CointreauVersial Wed 20-Jul-16 20:14:46

Yeah, but who cares in a lining?

DorothyGherkins Wed 20-Jul-16 20:17:07

Probably the same reason they put plastic lining in leather shoes.

Gusthetheatrecat Wed 20-Jul-16 20:27:24

Is viscose really breathable?! I thought it was sweaty and stuffy but am I mixing it up with something else?

JapanNextYear Wed 20-Jul-16 22:18:14

I'm unconvinced about viscose being breathable...

I've got two cotton lined dresses and they are great, one was Maine New England from debenhams a few years ago but it's nice!

The George at asda cotton dress that I could see looks lovely but too short on me...

OhWellll Wed 20-Jul-16 22:38:21

unlined dresses get stuck to tights/hosiery that's why.

ShatnersBassoon Wed 20-Jul-16 22:39:47

This is from wiki re viscose rayon:

"Major fiber properties

Rayon is a versatile fiber and is widely claimed to have the same comfort properties as natural fibers, although the drape and slipperiness of rayon textiles are often more like nylon. It can imitate the feel and texture of silk, wool, cotton and linen. The fibers are easily dyed in a wide range of colors. Rayon fabrics are soft, smooth, cool, comfortable, and highly absorbent, but they do not insulate body heat, making them ideal for use in hot and humid climates, although also making their "hand" (feel) cool and sometimes almost slimy to the touch."

It is a decent fabric that people think is crap because it's man-made. I can't say I've ever found it slimy, but it can be cool to the touch.

JapanNextYear Thu 21-Jul-16 06:47:02

Ta for the viscose information. I look again.

If it's really hot won't be wearing tights....

PatricianOfAnkhMorpork Thu 21-Jul-16 19:30:15

I hate this too and I've never had a problem with cotton lined dresses.

Viscose may be part natural but the manufacturing process is heavily air polluting. It's tightly regulated but bad all the same.

AuroraBora Thu 21-Jul-16 21:52:35

Viscose is one of those dodgy ones. Can be fab but can also shrink. I've bought viscose from h and m and one wash later it's far too tight. Very unpredictable!!

dontcallmelen Fri 22-Jul-16 15:02:07

I thought it was only me who this irritated😡 Have just sent back a couple of dresses, due to nasty lining really annoys me, especially with linen or cotton dresses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now