Aib fashionably unreasonable?

(23 Posts)
DarkLikeVader Tue 19-Jul-16 17:07:39

Can I just have a quick check of whether I'm being bonkers in the heat or not. I threw on a skirt to go shopping (morning spent in paddling pool!), a skirt I've never been sure about, knee length, black with turquoise pattern. I saw someone else wearing the exact same skirt in tesco. A conservative estimate would place her at 70+. I'm 34. I want to charity shop the skirt but DH thinks that's daft. Would you bin the skirt or not?

WanderingTrolley1 Tue 19-Jul-16 17:08:31

Did I liked the skirt, I would keep it.

ElspethFlashman Tue 19-Jul-16 17:11:37

Nahhh keep it.

DH once almost wet himself laughing cos he recognised a scarf I owned around the neck of Mary Berry on GBBO.

I give no fucks, it was from Zara and I love it. All it means is that Mary Berry has really youthful taste in scarves, IMO.

Mum2Pea Tue 19-Jul-16 17:11:42

I would charity shop it.

DorothyBastard Tue 19-Jul-16 17:13:00

We need to see the skirt

Gardencentregroupie Tue 19-Jul-16 17:13:08

I once went to visit my granny and she was wearing the same cute floral tea dress I had been wearing only the day before. Zero fucks were given smile

reup Tue 19-Jul-16 17:14:58

That happened to me then I thought, well why would I have awful taste when I'm 70?

You are being unreasonable saying threw on a skirt though!

Gingefringe Tue 19-Jul-16 17:43:07

I had a dress AND a t-shirt that Eileen from Corrie wore. They both went into the charity shop bag.

ByJupiter Tue 19-Jul-16 17:48:08

Who looked better in it? That would be my benchmark 😀

Doobigetta Tue 19-Jul-16 17:50:40

It depends on the 70 year old. It was what made me give up on M&S though- kept having to back away from things I was looking at because women my mum's age started inspecting them next to me.

burnishedsilver Tue 19-Jul-16 19:28:34

I agree that we need to see the skirt.
Maybe the 70 year old is posting 'do I look like mutton?'

shedragon Tue 19-Jul-16 20:45:48

Happened me. I had the handiest blue throw-on dress and one evening I saw a (much older) woman wearing the same dress. Not the same way and not with the same accessories but it was not nice on her. I charity shopped it <shallow>

Agree, we need to see said skirt

AnnieNoMouse Tue 19-Jul-16 21:32:41

Older women daring to wear stylish clothes - what an outrage. As soon as a woman reaches what, 50? 60? 70? it should be elasticated crimplene slacks and beige tops. hmm

AnnieNoMouse Tue 19-Jul-16 21:33:35

Although euthanasia might be kinder

AmberNectarine Tue 19-Jul-16 22:26:08

Sharon from eastenders wore my favourite jumper. I immediately threw it out. I was 17.

BackforGood Tue 19-Jul-16 22:34:34

Of course not.
Is there some law to say you are not allowed to dress nicely once you pass a certain age ? hmm

miniHovis Tue 19-Jul-16 22:38:52

I had a jumper I loved and wore loads until I spotted it on Kerry I'm emmerdale. Never wore it again.

We still need to see the skirt

DarkLikeVader Tue 19-Jul-16 22:49:15

No law saying you can't dress nicely as an older lady but I don't think there's any shame in me not wanting to dress like my mum! She wasn't what is called a stylish lady (waits to be flamed) more a 'sensible shoes' type.
I thought about putting up a pic of me in the skirt but decided I couldn't face being told it was awful so I think that's made the decision for me, charity shop it is. Thanks!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 19-Jul-16 22:50:52

I'm 50 and not quite ready for beige crimpolene hmm

The only time I recycle something that is otherwise wearable is if something really sad/bad happens when I have worn it.

I used to have a gorgeous pink paisley top and one of my guinea-pigs died in my arms while I was wearing it. I couldn't feel the same love for the top after that.

Floisme Wed 20-Jul-16 08:13:37

Let's hope you haven't got a leather jacket then op - as seen on 70 year old Helen Mirren.

dragonsarebest Wed 20-Jul-16 08:19:36

I understand how you feel. Something I own and love was worn by Eddie in the AbFab film and that has thrown me into a similar conundrum.

BananaChew Wed 20-Jul-16 09:56:51

Yeah I think you ABU.

My granny is 72, and recently gave me one of her black M&S jumpers when I was searching for the perfect one. We wore it completely differently - she would wear it with a blouse and a skirt, and sensible shoes. I wore it with skinnies and a statement necklace and Chelsea boots. There is no way I'd throw something I was happy wearing out, because someone 70 also wore it.

BadToTheBone Wed 20-Jul-16 10:10:21

Seriously, people throws out things they like because someone older also bought it? I've seen everything now, how petty.

If you don't like the skirt, give it away, if you like it, keep it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now