Swimwear for cuddly 50 yr old!

(10 Posts)
Stopyourhavering Sun 17-Jul-16 20:36:01

Going to Greek islands in a fortnight and wondering whether I would be foolish to wear a Tankini?.... I'm 5ft 9 and a size 18 ....would I look stupid in said item?...... I usually wear swimming cossies but fancy a change...any suggestions....thanks!

ilovecherries Sun 17-Jul-16 20:42:59

I'm older than you, and I've ordered bikinis this year - proper bra sized tops, and a range of cheap, high waisted bottoms. Haven't worn them out yet, but having put them on at home, they are about 100 times more comfortable and flattering than a one piece. I wouldn't inflict my various gynae/obstetric/emergency appendectomy scars on the general public, but the high waist pants are AMAZING. So go for it!

ilovecherries Sun 17-Jul-16 20:45:24

And I'm a 16 on the bottom, but a 36JJ on top, which in a one piece, puts me into a 24 just to cover my boobs - believe me, I've gone with this on previous years. A two piece that fits is so much more flattering!

Stopyourhavering Sun 17-Jul-16 20:49:28

Oo do tell where did you purchase these please?.... I've ordered some from M&S and Marisota for starters!!.....

DianaT1969 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:11:30

I love a tankini with a high waisted brief or boyshorts too. I'm mid forties. They feel more youthful and I feel less exposed than when wearing a swimsuit.

JulesJules Sun 17-Jul-16 21:18:39

I took a tankini and bikini to Greece earlier this year. Got them from Bravissimo - proper bra sized tops. They fit really well. Got extra pair of boy short bottoms from amazon.
Getting the tankini on is virtually a 2 person job though. grin I wore the bikini more often.

ilovecherries Sun 17-Jul-16 21:36:54

I got two bikini tops from brastop (curvy Kate) plus a panache one from bravissimo. Then I just bought some plain high waisted bikini bottoms from debenhams - a black, neon pink and electric blue. The bottoms were only about a tenner each. The tops were obviously more expensive, but would actually double as bras for day wear they are so supportive.

ilovecherries Sun 17-Jul-16 21:41:44

Oh, and today I picked up a leopard print bottom from Evans for £5 to go with the plain black panache top. I'm not sure if I will have the nerve to wear it yet though! But all of them go up to above my belly button, so all scars are covered. I don't have much in the way of stretch marks, but the few I do have are on my lower belly, do they are nicely covered as well. And as the pants have ruched fronts, even my CS overhang is nicely concealed. I'm really selling myself here, amn't I?

Stopyourhavering Sun 17-Jul-16 21:48:01

Ilove....know how it its!!......I have CS and hysterectomy scars so have a smiley face on my abdomen......but don't want to frighten the locals!!
I've struggled in heat with shimming cossies last 2 year and seen som bigger ladies than me wear Tankinis, so thought why not....
Hoping I can embrace my inner goddess!!..... Hoping I can keep some of my purchases - bought a lush cover up as well so I can sip cocktails at the beach bar......only 15 sleeps!!

ilovecherries Sun 17-Jul-16 21:53:55

A two piece is def more comfortable, and I think they are more flattering as well, because each bit actually fits. Have a wonderful time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now