What age for waxing in salons?

(11 Posts)
FlamingoFling Thu 14-Jul-16 12:18:02

Is it usual for salons to restrict waxing to over 14?

My DD has started to remove hair from her legs -which I'm fine with - but would prefer to have them waxed rather than going wild with a razor.

My regular place won't wax her until she's 14 but wondered how usual this was.

SaggyNaggy Thu 14-Jul-16 12:21:26

Does your DD want them waxed or is it your preference?

I'd be tempted to suggest she learns correct razor technique first before having any waxing done. I'd imagine her hair won't really be proper hair until shes past puberty and into adult hood so i'd worry the wax will grip skin and fluff and hurt like holy heck. iyswim?

1moreglassplease Thu 14-Jul-16 16:38:02

I was getting the bottom half of my legs waxed (up to knees) at 14, but not done in a salon - by a beautician at home. I am hairy, but very fair, so the top half wasn't really a problem. I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to do the whole lot.

My current beautician has had young girls coming in and asking for Brazilians. She won't do them but will do lower legs to let them get a feel for what it's like. I don't really think that 14 is a problem for legs, personally.

Is your daughter dark and self conscious? She could always try home waxing as a start. Would that be a good compromise until she's a bit older?

Fuzzypeggy Thu 14-Jul-16 17:11:52

Surely the fact that you have to let the hair grow in between waxing sessions is a problem though? If she's at school with bare legs then maybe shaving is a better option for this reason

LilacSpunkMonkey Thu 14-Jul-16 17:14:01

Surely at 14 you can trust your daughter to use a razor to shave her legs. Why is it 'going wild'?

My own daughter is 14 and uses a razor. She's perfectly able to shave her own legs. It's not difficult.

FlamingoFling Thu 14-Jul-16 17:19:29

She's 12 not 14 - hence the issue.

I've always preferred waxing and I've done her legs once at home but I'm not an expert by an stretch and suspect it would be quicker and less painful if we did it in a salon.

Her hair is not dark but she has a lot if it and became self conscious.

Scarydinosaurs Thu 14-Jul-16 17:21:20

Have you tried a silky mit? You get them in boots. I used this until I was 14/15 and then started shaving/waxing as the need arose.

Libitina Thu 14-Jul-16 19:37:59

What about the cold wax strips that you warm in your hands and then pull apart?

Ineedmorelemonpledge Thu 14-Jul-16 19:42:36

Can you use Veet?

ChicRock Thu 14-Jul-16 19:48:25

I think it's the norm to have an age limit and I'd imagine the salons insurance company says what that limit is.

The salon I go to also won't wax anyone under 14, and won't do shellac or false nails on under 16's.

AmberNectarine Thu 14-Jul-16 19:49:08

My mum got me an epilator at a similar age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now