How do I build a capsule wardrobe?

(9 Posts)
Alisvolatpropiis Tue 12-Jul-16 21:21:32

Just that really. I'm 27 and have a one year old, so have spent the better part of 2 years either pregnant or dressing in my pre-pregnancy clothes which are fine but all from at least 2 years ago.

So I'm a bit bored of them all and want to have a bit of cull before building up a neat wardrobe which can multitask a bit. Some pieces will definitely be staying such as my leather jacket.

I've no idea where to start though. Any advice would be gratefully received.

I feel your pain. I need to declutter my wardrobe and get bits that can multi task whilst still looking good

BringMeTea Tue 12-Jul-16 21:28:07

www.un-fancy.com

Take a look at this blog. I believe there's a planner on there now too.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 12-Jul-16 22:04:14

Oh thanks BringMeTea, I'll have a look at that blog!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 12-Jul-16 22:45:08

If you're on Pinterest you can find loads on there I'm trying to do my own right now.

phoolani Wed 13-Jul-16 00:31:38

For me, the key was finding one shop which suited my style. With a couple of shops I use to complement that shop, my capsule wardrobe built itself, even though I wasn't looking to get one!

Buddahbelly Wed 13-Jul-16 06:38:28

Ive been doing mine with help from a few blogs this one here is 1 of them

I sorted out a few piles of stuff i loved, stuff i wouldn't wear every day, and stuff I would.

Then went through them and got rid of any old things/ damaged tops etc.

I think once you've done that you can see which colours your wardrobe is made up of, mine was basically black, navy and denim trousers with colourful tops. So it was easy for me to see what i needed and add in a few classic cream/grey tops.

Its takes a while to figure out but i'm slowly getting there.

Alligatorpie Wed 13-Jul-16 11:57:44

I am also working on building my wardrobe. I did a lot of research and came across a blog which says you need 37 pieces in your wardrobe. 15 tops, 9 bottoms, 2 jackets, 2 dresses and 9 pairs of shoes.
Right now I have 6 dresses, that I can't seem to pair down and I need 2 more pairs of shoes (I am not counting flip flops). But, so far, It seems to be going ok and I enjoy having a small wardrobe.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 13-Jul-16 11:59:41

37 pieces sounds a reasonable number.

Need to put a focus back on quality too, rather than picking up any old thing which catches my eye. I used to work in the city centre where I live so retail therapy "just because" was all too easy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now